The Dixie Darlings: Renaming a Legacy

Oct 29, 2016; Hattiesburg, MS, USA; The Southern Miss Golden Eagles Dixie Darlings march in a pre-game parade before the game between the Southern Miss Golden Eagles and the Marshall Thundering Herd at M.M. Roberts Stadium.

For decades, the Dixie Darlings have been a staple of Southern Miss. Kicking their legs up to the sky and twirling with grace, the Southern Miss dance team creates a vibrant and contagious energy wherever they are. Without them, our campus community would falter. 

Recently, however, many common terms have been called out as racist or offensive. Many bands, businesses, attractions and other forms of entertainment or corporations have changed their names out of respect. The term “dixie” has been one of the most common changes. It is now labeled as offensive, and many would agree that this term should rightfully be changed. In 2020, the Dixie Darlings announced the effort to change their name to avoid offense and to continue to create a safe and healthy environment. 

While it seemed that many officials were in support of this name change, it is 2022 and this change has yet to come. They’re still referred to as the Dixie Darlings and not many developments have been discussed. 

It begs the question: is the name change even coming? Dixie is an offensive term hailing from the era of the Confederate South. Of course, a common Southern term is not surprising at a school in the South called the University of Southern Mississippi. The term is deeply problematic and bears memories of slavery, an unjustified implementation of the American South. 

Many celebrities and businesses that used the word have already changed their names. The word seems to be slowly becoming obsolete, nearly fading away before the public eye.

However, it has been a part of USM’s dance team for over 65 years. Since their conception in 1954, they have been known strictly as the Dixie Darlings. Only in recent years has their name become an issue. In 2020, there were protests and riots around the nation (and other parts of the world) that rightfully brought light to the racism, white supremacy, and injustices that exist in modern society. The Dixie Darlings promised a name change in August of that year, yet it has not happened yet. 

I’m sure it isn’t easy to pick up and change a name that has been a key element of Southern Miss tradition. However, some traditions are controversial and call for a change. While it is understandable that the Dixie Darlings are a USM legacy, we must remember that our community also prides itself on acceptance, friendship and respect. If someone in this community is affected negatively, then it is time for a change. A promise is a promise. A name change was announced, so a name change should be expected. 

The Southern Miss community loves this team and has for years–having the utmost respect for their hard work, grace and dignity. A football game without them would feel incomplete. However, the name is not without fault and has to change in order to make our community a more accepting place. Despite the current disposition of their name, the Darlings are so much more than that. They are an integral piece of Southern Miss history and tradition.