Golden Eagle Spotlight: Student rapper and radio personality elevates local music scene

Parkrr performs at The Tavern in February. (Photo Courtesy of Grace Brauner)

This week’s Golden Eagle Spotlight goes to Southern Miss senior Parker McPhail, who raps and hosts the “Tune In” on WUSM 88.5 every week.

His radio show “Tune In” promotes musicians and bands in the Hattiesburg area every Monday at 5 p.m. on WUSM from musicians such as bluesman Jesse Howell to local artist Phillip Blackwell.

His interview with the Eagle Hour radio show last year inspired the idea to discuss the music scene in the Hub region. The Eagle Hour gave PARKKR’s upcoming rap career the platform that he gives to local artists now for his show. 

His blooming rap discography comes from his songwriting and production of his music. He writes every song and produces about half of the music. 

“I write all of it,” PARKKR said. “I occasionally outsource for production, but I record and engineer my own stuff. It’s really cost-efficient.”

PARKKR released his first full-length album ‘Dysfunctional Demos’ on February 4th. ‘Dysfunctional Demos’ is a concept album that captures many pieces of PARKKR’s character and personality.

A’Darius McCormick interviews PARKKR in the Golden Eagle Spotlight segment on SMTV.

“It kind of goes in like four acts almost,” PARKKR said. “First one is dysfunction, the second one is highs, the third one is dreams and ambitions and the last one is lows.”

The album contains elements of experimental and lo-fi though the main genres are rap and hip hop, and the elements are what PARKKR calls his own sound.

To listen to “Dysfunctional Demos” and the rest of his music, search “PARKKR” on all streaming services. Follow him on Instagram @PARKKR_ and Facebook @PARKKR Music.
Watch A’Darius McCormick’s full interview with PARKKR on Southern Miss TV.