Hattiesburg Speedway begins racing season

Joe Venus
Courtesy of Joe Venus of Out Law Photography

Hattiesburg Speedway began its racing season with two opening nights on Friday, March 4 and 5, 2022.

Hattiesburg Speedway has been providing fast-paced racing action since its opening in 1978. Drivers compete in four classes: pure street, street stock, modifieds and crate late models.

It is a place where drivers and fans can make lifelong friendships and rivals on and off the track, with opening race night being no different.

Tensions were high as drivers began their hot laps or laps to practice handling their vehicles on the track. 

Scott Craft of Petal, MS and driver of car No. L37, hopes to get a feel for the track after a year of being away.

“You won’t know how the race will go until after hot laps,” Craft said.

Hot laps are one way for drivers to guess how they will do in their actual races, while others learn of issues that could lower their chances of placing first. 

Jeff Smith of Gulfport and driver of 360 sprint car No. 56 hoped to make it through his race after barely getting his car back in working order after a race last week.

Racers from over the southeast came to Hattiesburg Speedway Friday night as part of the United Sprint Car Series circuit. 

Max Stambaugh, sprint car No. M5 driver, came from Ohio to race at the speedway.

“Races back home have not started yet, so I went onto the U.S.C.S. website and found that they were doing a circuit race here at Hattiesburg Speedway,” Stambaugh said.

Many drivers were at Hattiesburg Speedway for the opening races because it is a part of the U.S.C.S. circuit. However, some were there because it is their closest dirt track and considered their home track. 

For example, Jay Pratt, stinger class driver No. 117 from Biloxi, Mississippi, uses Hattiesburg Speedway because it is only an hour away compared to other tracks.

Participants also vary in ages, from 14 to 74 years old. Hattiesburg local Al Kouhout, driver of car No. 41, considers himself the oldest driver in the modifieds class, at 74-years-old. 

Kouhout has been racing since 1968 and continues today as a hobby on his home track right here in Hattiesburg or right in his backyard.

“Tonight is the time for the drivers to experience the track and learn what they can do to be better for the next race,” Kouhout said.

Hattiesburg Speedway is the place to see some fast-paced racing during their weekly races every Friday.If you’re interested in learning more about Hattiesburg Speedway or experiencing the excitement, check out their website at hattiesburgspeedway.net. Check back to learn more about some drivers and the speedway.