Foo Fighters craft temporary metal persona with ‘Dream Widow’

Foo Fighters, or mostly just the lead vocalist Dave Grohl, released ‘Dream Widow’, a metal EP, under the fictional band Dream Widow from their horror-comedy film ‘Studio 666.’ The EP was released on March 25th, the same day Foo Fighters’ drummer Taylor Hawkins died.

It’s difficult to imagine a version of Foo Fighters without the delightful Hawkins on the drums. He could pound the drums behind Grohl in a way that you would never think twice about wishing it was anyone else–not even Grohl. 

Grohl has had a history of performing different genres besides Nirvana’s grunge and Foo Fighters’ classic rock, such as his heavy metal project Probot in 2004 and his hardcore punk rock band Scream in 1989. It isn’t his first delve into the metal scene and ‘Dream Widow’ makes it obvious.

Grohl is the main man behind ‘Dream Widow,’ especially vocal-wise, showcasing yet another talent of his that people may have been unaware of. Drums, guitar, writing, singing, screaming—he does it all.

The EP starts extremely strong with ‘Encino,’ which is thrashy, ferocious and lightning-paced but the remaining songs don’t exactly keep this pace. ‘Encino’ contains all the necessary elements of metal.

‘March of the Insane’ comes closest to matching the energy of ‘Encino’ with its vicious vocals and pace. 

‘Cold,’ the second track, stands as my favorite–giving me a little taste of Pantera in the beginning. Grohl’s voice booms powerful and hauntingly like a monstrous being, it truly blows me away.

My other favorite track is ‘Becoming’ which sounds so enticing with Grohl’s voice once again thundering over you. It’s tastefully doomy. 

‘The Sweet Abyss’ is much more sweetly melodic than the others, sounding like a spicy Foo Fighters. If it stood at just the chorus, this would be a song I could imagine Foo Fighters normally releasing.

‘Angel With Severed Wings’ is heavy, but its lyrics are probably heavier. This is another song that, at times, sounds like it could be a regular Foo Fighters’ release. 

My only wish is that more songs on the EP matched its starting track ‘Encino’ but nevertheless, it turned out fantastic and the majority of ‘Dream Widow’ sounds quite similar to organic metal, very original and old school. 

Foo Fighter’s ‘Dream Widow’ makes for hellish fun and Grohl blew it out the water with this jam. In my honest opinion, I think I prefer this EP over any Foo Fighters’ album I’ve ever heard, though I am a Foo fanatic (I just made that term up). 

I hope there will be more of this in Foo Fighters’ future but most importantly, rest in peace Taylor Hawkins.

9.5/10.