Campus to host media events

There will be three events at The University of Southern Mississippi and in the surrounding Hattiesburg area this week for those interested in film and broadcast media: The Hattie Dance Film Project, The Filmmakers Social and Mississippi Association of Broadcasters Day.

The first event will be The Hattie Dance Film Project: Creating Art In The Nooks and Crannies of Hattiesburg, at 8 p.m. in the Woods Theatre Monday, April 21. Admission is free. The focus will be on celebrating works of art created in Hattiesburg and will include dance films, a photography component and artists’ discussion and Q&A session.

“I created the event as a chance to give back to Hattiesburg and USM through what they have graciously provided for me,” said Morgan Teel, a dance performance and choreography senior and the creator of the event. “In addition to the films, Kate Dearman will show some of her photography that has been taken around the areas that I have filmed.”

The event is hosted by Morgan Teel Choreography & Kate Dearman Photography and is funded by the USM Center of Undergraduate Research.

The Filmmakers Social will be Tuesday, April 22 at 6:30 p.m. at the Thirsty Hippo. The Crew, an on-campus student organization that seeks to provide interested students with experience in film and video production, will host the event. The purpose of the evening is to allow students to meet people who can help them with their projects and careers in film.

“This is a networking event,” said Jonathan McGowan, an organizer of the social. “Come expecting to meet people who have the necessary tools to help you.”

There is a $5 entry fee at the door to raise funds for The Crew. The funds are meant to help provide students with high-quality video equipment for their projects.

USM’s School of Mass Communication and Journalism will host the Mississippi Association of Broadcasters (MAB) Day Wednesday, April 23. The event will host broadcast communication professionals from around the state to discuss current issues in mass communication with an emphasis on television news, radio entertainment, promotions and media productions.

They will be meeting with 20 selected students to review portfolios. The deadline to participate in the portfolio review is past, according to the event website, but all students are welcome to attend the open forum from 1-2:15 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center.