Hattiesburg offers unique places for date night

Red Bluff, located in Columbia, is one of the many places students enjoy taking a date to.  The landmark is a great place for having a picnic and to adventure around the red cliff. | Photo by Mary Sergeant
Red Bluff, located in Columbia, is one of the many places students enjoy taking a date to. The landmark is a great place for having a picnic and to adventure around the red cliff. | Photo by Mary Sergeant

Nothing is worse than a boring date.  Luckily, Hattiesburg and the surrounding areas offer some eclectic, adventurous and tasty places for you and your date to try out.

For those who enjoy the outdoors, several places near the university offer unique and fun activities to do under the sun or the stars.  Red Bluff Canyon, known as the “Grand Canyon of Mississippi,” is located in Columbia.  Guests can hike through the woods, find hidden trails and even set up an Eno when they get tired of slipping in the mud.

Paul B. Johnson State Park is located roughly 15 minutes away from campus.  This park offers a lot of recreational activities such as disc golf, canoeing and camping.  But, this park is also the perfect place to come when you want some quiet, alone time with your significant other.  Paul B. Johnson offers a fantastic view of the night sky, perfect for a romantic stargazing date.

Senior public relations major Elizabeth Winton loves to go outside and play sports with her boyfriend.  One place they enjoy going to is Tatum Park.

“It’s free and there are tennis courts, soccer fields and baseball fields to play around in,” Winton said.

Other students enjoy taking their dates to many delicious eateries in the Hattiesburg area.

Aaron Linville, a sophomore political science major,  has found a few spots he personally enjoys.

“Cotton Blues is amazing and Patio 44 is good too,” Linville said.

Both restaurants offer a good ambience and location.  Cotton Blues is located near 32 Degrees, and what girl doesn’t like froyo?  Patio 44 is located next to Brewsky’s, one of the main music venues in Hattiesburg.

The downtown Hattiesburg area also offers some unique restaurants that offer great environments for a date.  Among those are Bianchi’s Pizzeria, Brownstone’s and Vicki’s on Walnut Street.  All three are within walking distance of other restaurants, cool and low-lit bars and small boutiques.  Also, once a semester, the downtown area hosts an Art Walk.

The Southern Miss campus also offers some simple yet fun places for a date.  The newly renovated front of campus is the perfect place for a picnic. 

But, be careful walking across the bridge at Lake Byron because legend dictates you will marry the person you cross the bridge with.  Choose wisely.  Other events on campus such as Friday Night at the Fountain are free and offer unlimited food and music. 

Zach Theriault, a sophomore education major, said the Fresh Food Co. is a nice laid-back place to go on a date.

“The best is letting your girl use a guest swipe. One-way ticket to the pizza line,” Theriault said.

After reading this, a boring date should be hard-pressed to find.  But, remember the key component to a successful night out with your boyfriend, girlfriend or crush is to be yourself and let the stress roll off of your shoulders.