New sorority to welcome members Sunday

Susan Broadbridge
Alpha Chi Omega consultant Jacilyn Kennedy hand out information about their new sorority coming onto Southern Miss' campus September 10th, outside the Joseph Cook Library.  -Susan Broadbridge
Alpha Chi Omega consultant Jacilyn Kennedy hand out information about their new sorority coming onto Southern Miss’ campus September 10th, outside the Joseph Cook Library. -Susan Broadbridge

The addition of a new CPC sorority to the Southern Miss Greek community is very exciting for not only their future members but also for the Greek community at large. Alpha Chi Omega has been around for over 100 years, but is brand new to the university. 

“We have felt very welcomed and have been pleasantly surprised with every organization’s hospitality,” said Sami Holley, resident consultant for USM Alpha Chi Omega colonization.

Many find Alpha Chi’s introduction to The University of Southern Mississippi Greek community to be exciting. 

“CPC is already viewing them as our eighth sorority chapter,” said Megan Wilkinson, assistant director of Greek Life. 

She also said the CPC staff is excited about the new element Alpha Chi is adding to Greek Life. CPC has and continues to do everything in their power to assist Alpha Chi as its bid day approaches and is excited to help welcome its new women Sunday.   

The support of the Greek student body is crucial not only as the new Panhellenic sisters “run home” on Sunday, but also as they grow as a chapter. They will face many new experiences as they learn about Greek Life. It is an exciting time for not only them but also
existing chapters. 

In 1885 Alpha Chi was the sixth sorority founded in the U.S. According to the sorority website, it began at Depauw University in Greencastle, Indiana and still has a chapter there.  With currently over 200,000 members nationally, they have very involved members and alumni organizations.  They are still growing today with six chapters at different stages of colonization this academic year.

The Alpha Chi national philanthropy is domestic violence awareness and it  has raised more than $10.4 million to fund awareness campaigns, safe houses and hotlines for domestic violence.

Alpha Chi assists victims and wants to educate their own members and Greek sisters about the topic. Their event Life is Sweeter with Alpha Chi was Sept. 11 and was open to all potential new members to learn about their philanthropic efforts and the vision for the USM
founding chapter.

“Together let us seek the heights” is Alpha Chi’s motto. It reflects the sorority’s goal of assisting members on their journey to be genuine, strong women. This ties back into its philanthropy as they help victims regain the confidence to be strong women.

As they continue their formal recruitment process, they look forward to the support of the USM community.