BonnaMu to benefit Children’s Miracle Network

The band 49 Drive was one of the acts to perform at Phi Mu’s annual festival benefiting Children’s Miracle Network on April 13th, 2013 in Hattiesburg, MS. -Zach Odom/Archive
The band 49 Drive was one of the acts to perform at Phi Mu's annual festival benefiting Children's Miracle Network on April 13th, 2013 in Hattiesburg, MS. -Zach Odom/Archive

The ladies of Phi Mu are gearing up for the first CPC philanthropy event of the year, the fifth annual Phi Music Fest, BonnaMu.

On Friday, Phi Mu will host BonnaMu in The District as a fundraiser for Children’s Miracle Network. The event will run from 5 to 7 p.m., with games, food, music and raffles. All proceeds will benefit their philanthropy. Local cover band, Carter Road, will play from 5 to 6 p.m.

The band will be followed by a step show from 6 to 7 p.m. Sororities and fraternities will compete to win points with a dance that shows off their individual style and incorporates the themes of BonnaMu, including Children’s Miracle Network, musical festivals and Phi Mu.

Matt Balcer, a junior communication studies major and member of Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, is excited for BonnaMu this year. 

“I’m not competing in the step show this year, but I have in the past. I know all of Greek Life is excited about the event,” Balcer said.

Sororities and fraternities will also set up booths for games, which attendees can play during the event. Greek organizations have been partnered together to decorate the game booths as part of a competition. The step show, booth decorations, a Band-Aid drive and participation in the games at BonnaMu will eventually decide a winner for the philanthropy competition.

Hannah Curtin, a senior marketing major and member of Phi Mu, is in charge of organizing the event. She said one of the major changes this year was the decision to give the event more of a theme. 

“In years past, we had a beach theme so people dressed up and decorated their tents like the beach. We thought BonnaMu would give people a little something more to look forward to,” Curtin said.

Curtin also felt that moving the event from its traditional spring time slot to the fall would help the event succeed. 

“We expect a good turnout this year since we are moving it to the fall,” she said. “We’re excited to see everyone come out and participate.”

Lakelyn Taylor, a sophomore communication studies and Spanish double major and member of Alpha Delta Pi, expressed her anticipation for BonnaMu. “I am really excited for it this year. I think that any organization that supports the nurturing of the next generation is good and worthwhile.”

BonnaMu is open to the general public and more information can be found on the open Facebook event page.