Upgrade summer pieces for fall outfits

Brooke Davis, freshman fashion merchandising major, wears a jewel toned vest on top of a light summer layering top.-Kelley Joe Brumfield

In Mississippi, autumn usually means an extended summer for residents.

While Northerners hang their sweaters, scarves and coats, Mississippians still sport sleeveless tops, shorts and sandals. But, the weather is surprising this October with a low of 50 degrees Saturday night. This can be an ideal forecast to include some light sweaters, cardigans and boots into a woman’s wardrobe.

Transitioning summer and even spring pieces into one’s fall wardrobe can be a practical and smart way to save money and create endless outfit options.

Kayla Gates, a senior public relations major and fashion merchandising minor, said booties and collared shirts are good pieces to transition in one’s fall closet. 

“Booties are great to wear with dresses in the spring and summer and they’re also a great way to to jazz up your fall outfit of jeans and an oversized, comfy plaid,” she said. “Collared shirts are perfect by themselves in the spring and summer, but you can throw a scoop neck sweater over them in the fall for a little sweet detail.”

Ashlea Hodge, a junior fashion merchandising major, said a basic white tee is a summer staple. However, one can transition a simple tee paired with cut-off blue jean shorts, black tights, black leather boots, a black leather jacket and a scarf. 

“This works the same with dresses and skirts,” Hodge said. “The simple accessories such as scarves, stockings and jackets will turn a summer outfit into a complete fall outfit.”

She finds herself wearing her blue jean button-down year-round because she said it is a classic staple that has yet to go out of style. 

“I wear it as a shirt and I wear it as a jacket, unbuttoned,” she said.

Freshman fashion merchandising major Brooke Davis layers a fall sweater over a flowy summer dress to transform it into a fall staple.- Kelley Joe Brumfield

Gates said owning versatile pieces to wear from season to season is important because it makes one a smart shopper and a fashionista. 

“I think it’s fun to think of different ways to mix and match pieces I already have in my closet to make an outfit I’ve never worn before,” she said. “Layer those summer clothes and wear them year-round.” 

Flexible wardrobe pieces also save money and time, according to Hodge. 

“When fall comes, no one should have to run to the mall to shop because they have nothing to protect them from weather change,” she said. 

Here are a few more innovative ways to include one’s summer/spring staples: 

According to Style Note, a romper paired with a jean jacket, scarf and booties is a fun way to incorporate a summer staple. It also suggests pairing a lightweight tee-shirt dress with a long sleeve cardigan and boots. 

Slip on a maxi dress or tunic with a cropped sweater, accordion to The Tartan.

Moneycrashers said layering is a functional way to include summer pieces. Pairing a knit vest over a lightweight button-down is a good example. 

Transitioning one’s pieces for the changing season saves one the trouble of dressing for any occasion.