City Council adopts new policies

Michael Kavitz
Deborah Delgado, Kim Bradley and Mary Dryden vote on proposed action plans for the city. Hattiesburg's City Council met on Tuesday, October 7 to further discuss various topics that arose during the last city council meeting. -Michael Kavitz
Deborah Delgado, Kim Bradley and Mary Dryden vote on proposed action plans for the city. Hattiesburg City Council met Tuesday, Oct.  7 to further discuss various topics that arose during the last city council meeting. -Michael Kavitz

Hattiesburg City Council members met Tuesday to discuss, approve or deny proposed action plans for the City of Hattiesburg.

Council member Mary Dryden began the meeting with defending the routine agenda item to approve specifications and authorize publication of advertisement for recycling containers. 

After displaying multiple pieces of non-recyclable garbage she found on the street the previous morning, Dryden said, “If we had a sustainability officer, things would be going a lot better. If we included all the schools in Hattiesburg, we’d get a lot more in the recycling program.” 

Dryden called for schools’ involvement in the proposed recycling program since nearly 70 percent of Hattiesburg’s schools and neighborhoods are not contributing to recycling.

Major policies discussed included the adoption of a resolution establishing petty cash funds  and approval of issuance of a manual check to each custodian and to approve specifications and authorize publication of advertisement for recycling containers, which was not approved.

Councilwoman Deborah Delgado was against the proposal to take from the table a task order related to the design and construction of a new wastewater treatment facility to replace the existing South Lagoon Wastewater Treatment Plant. The policy was forwarded and will be reviewed. 

The City of Hattiesburg’s HOME Recapture Provisions was adopted, as was the updated Down Payment Assistance Program Policies and Guidelines. Provisions and policies of such maintain the city’s compliance with the requirements for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development programs. 

Mayor Johnny DuPree and the deputy city clerk  were authorized to execute Certification to the Municipal Compliance Questionnaire for the fiscal year ending September 2014. 

The receipt of Notice of Adoption of the Motor Vehicle Assessment Schedule received from the Mississippi Department of Revenue was acknowledged and the same was adopted for the City of Hattiesburg for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1, 2014, and ending Sept. 30, 2015. 

In the same policy, the publication of public notice was authorized and setting a hearing for Nov. 3 was ordered before the council to hear the complaints and objections to the adoption of the Motor Vehicle Assessment Schedule.

The policy of adopting a resolution to remove Ines Hicks as the petty cash custodian and approving Patrina Harper as the petty cash fund custodian for the Hattiesburg Police Department was amended with the resolution removing custodian.