Four new shows for lazy fall nights

The time has come.

You need a new TV show because your old favorite has been guillotined by the network, been drowned in unwatchable stupidity by the writers or reached a more-or-less satisfying closing, leaving an opening in your weekly DVR binge-watching session. Fret no longer because there are plenty of new to newish shows out there that can help satisfy that recently vacant spot.

1. “The Flash”

So, you’re a fan of “Arrow?” “The Flash” is for you. The series premiered on Oct. 6 on The CW, starring Grant Gustin—who is in “Arrow,” too—as Barry Allen/Flash, Candice Patton as Iris West, Danielle Panabaker as Dr. Caitlin Snow and Tom Cavanagh as Dr. Harrison Wells.

“I have only watched one episode of ‘The Flash,’ but I recognized its potential,” said Brandon Helton, a freshman who is undecided. “Since I love the way the writers wrote ‘Arrow,’ I’d highly recommend both ‘Arrow’ and ‘The Flash’ to anyone.”

2. “A to Z”

“How I Met Your Mother” has ended. What to do? Check out “A to Z,” which premiered on NBC Oct. 2.

“A to Z” tells the entire eight months, three weeks, five days and one-hour relationship of Andrew—played by Ben Feldman—and Zelda—played by Cristin Milioti, who played the mother on “HIMYM.”

“I did not watch ‘HIMYM’ religiously, but I would definitely check this show out,” said Maggie Benvenutti, a freshman nursing major.

Don’t get too attached to the series because NBC recently canceled “A to Z,” but it is still worth tuning into the show.

3. “The Affair”

Cheating is an event all too common in today’s world, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t make for some good TV. Showtime premiered “The Affair” on Oct. 12, using Dominic West as Noah Solloway, Ruth Wilson as Alison Lockhart, Maura Tierney as Helen Solloway and Joshua Jackson as Cole Lockhart to dramatize the adulterous relationship between Noah and Alison. The show has promise, according to multiple reviewers on IMDb.

4. “Gracepoint”

“Doctor Who” and “Breaking Bad” fans should be satisfied because David Tennant and Anna Gunn are the stars of this crime drama on FOX that premiered Oct. 2. In this show, Detective Emmett Carver (Tennant) and Detective Ellie Miller (Gunn) try to solve a murder of a young boy in Gracepoint.

“Gunn and Tennant are both fantastic performers, and the couple of instances where Gunn slips back into Skylar-mode are charming, rather than distracting,” said Jerome Wetzel, a critic for SEAT42F.

“The story is well set-up, and the various personalities that make up the cast are both interesting and plenty suspicious.”