New Tunes to Look Forward to in 2015

Now that every music-oriented blog in existence has put out their year-end lists, the musical hype machine can finally shift its sights to 2015.

As with every year, we get the usual questions. Will this year finally be the year that so-and-so finally puts out that album? What bands will get back together? Will that dream collaboration between my favorite artists finally happen?

While I do not know the answers to these questions, I can tell you what albums have me most excited for 2015’s musical output and what artists I hope release some new material in 2015.

Confirmed Albums:

Death Grips – “Jenny Death”

Death Grips had a very interesting year in 2014. The band broke up, released the first half of a double album and continuously sent the Internet into frenzy.

Though Death Grips promised its rabid fanbase that the second half of its double album “The Powers that B” would be released in 2014, it’s now 2015 and fans still eagerly await the second half of the album, “Jenny Death.”

With a rumored release date for February, Jenny Death is easily my most anticipated release for 2015.

Wild Nothing – Untitled Album

Jack Tatum’s solo project Wild Nothing has consistently proven itself to be among the best of the current wave of dream pop bands, and Tatum has recently gone to Stockholm to begin recording the band’s third full length record. Fans of reverb obsessed indie bands such as Real Estate or Beach Fossils should be on the lookout for this record.

Joey Bada$$ – “B4.DA.$$”

New York rapper Joey Bada$$ has several solid mixtapes under his belt, but January will see the release of the promising young rapper’s debut album “B4.DA.$$.” Fans of ‘90s era New York hip-hop should keep an eye out.

Xibalba – “Tierra Y Libertad”

One of the heaviest bands in metal music today, Xibalba pulls no punches when it comes to unleashing pummeling music. The band’s second album on Southern Lord Records, “Tierra Y Libertad” will be released Jan. 26, and, based on singles, will see the band continuing to wage all-out war on listeners’ eardrums.

BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah – “Sour Soul”

One of the most interesting collaborations I have seen announced to be released in 2015, Wu-Tang Clan veteran Ghostface Killah and Canadian Nu-Jazz trio BADBADNOTGOOD are teaming up on the album “Sour Soul” due for release in February.

Pity Sex – Untitled Album

Pity Sex is one of the most promising bands in the shoegaze revival. Their previous album, “Feast of Love,” was solid, but I am excited to see how the band will advance their sound on their next release.

Artists I hope to hear from in 2015:

Beach House

It’s been three years since the dreampop band’s last album, and I am ready for new hazy soundscapes from them.

Nails

The hardcore and metal giants recently released two new songs through Decibel Magazine. I hope that this is a sign of more material to come, as their last full length “Abandon All Life” was one of my favorite albums of 2013.

MF DOOM

Though he released an album with upcoming rapper Bishop Nehru last year, it has been a while since DOOM has dropped his own material. Nothing would make me happier than for 2015 to be the year we get new material from hip-hop’s supervillain. 

My Bloody Valentine

Though imitated countless times, as 2013’s return album “mbv” illustrated, no band can compare to the innovative shoegaze that Kevin Shields and company can create. After the release of “mbv,” Shields promised an EP and an eventual album of all new material from the band, and I hope the band delivers on that promise in 2015.