2015 Music Festival Gradebook

Bonnaroo: Manchester, Tennessee

Line Up Grade: D

The past two years I have been envious of those lucky enough to go to ‘Roo, but the 2015 line-up is pitifully thin compared to past line-ups. Weak headliners and an even emptier roster of middle-tier bands make this year’s Bonnaroo a definite skip for me.

My must sees: Kendrick Lamar, Slayer, Flying Lotus, Freddie Gibbs & Madlib, Iceage, Between the Buried & Me

Lodging, parking and accommodations: Access to general access campgrounds is included in the ticket price. Water, showers and Port-O-Potties are available.

Distance from Hattiesburg: 426 Miles

Shaky Knees Music Fest: Atlanta, Georgia

Line Up Grade: B+

There’s little diversity at Shaky Knees, with it mostly catering to the indie rock side of things, but the line-up is solid the whole way through.

My must sees: Neutral Milk Hotel, The Strokes, Pixies, Wavves, Minus the Bear, American Football, Mastodon

Lodging, parking and accommodations: No camping is allowed at Shaky Knees, so you are looking at a hotel, or if you’re lucky, a friend’s house. Parking is available near the festival. You are permitted to bring in water bottles to refill, food trucks will be on site and alcohol is available inside the festival.

Distance from Hattiesburg: 377 Miles

Austin Psych Fest presents: Levitation: Austin, Texas

Line-Up Grade: B

For a smaller festival, Levitation features a surprisingly strong roster of bands from the fuzzier side of the indie rock spectrum. I want to see nearly every band on the first half of the event’s lineup, but the smaller bands in the festival are all unknown to me.

My must sees: Tame Impala, Fuzz, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Lightning Bolt, The Sword, Nothing

Lodging, parking and accommodations: Levitation will take place five minutes outside of Austin at the Carson Creek Ranch. Camping is permitted. Parking is provided for a fee ranging from $10-$20 depending on the amount of time, and a shuttle runs from downtown Austin to the festival. Food, water and alcohol will be on site, but you are allowed to bring in an outside bottle of water.

Distance from Hattiesburg: 595 Miles

Hangout

Hangout Festival: Gulf Shores, Alabama

Line-Up Grade: C

Hangout has never really attracted me and this year is no different. Mostly catered toward mainstream listeners, none of the bands are going to offend anyone, but they aren’t terribly exciting either.

My must sees: Foo Fighters, Beck, Lupe Fiasco, Future Islands, Toro y Moi

Lodging, parking and accommodations: Camping is not permitted, so you are looking at a hotel if you plan on attending. Shuttles will run to the festival. No outside food or beverages, but you can bring an empty water bottle to fill up.

Distance from Hattiesburg: 146 Miles

BUKU

BUKU: New Orleans, Louisiana

Line Up Grade: C

Mostly focused on the hip-hop and electronic side of things with some indie acts thrown in, BUKU’s line up is alright but lacking in big names.

My must sees: A$AP Rocky, Boosie Badazz, Run The Jewels, Big Freedia, Yung Lean

Lodging, parking and accommodations: Hotels are what you are looking at if you are attending BUKU. Parking is provided but space is limited. Food and water are available inside the festival.

Distance from Hattiesburg: 112 miles.