World-Renowned Soprano to Visit Hattiesburg

While Hattiesburg is probably not at the top of anyone’s list of most culturally relative places in the world, it will play host to one of the foremost staples of highbrow culture in the last 20 years. World-renowned opera singer Deborah Voigt will be in town to perform at Bennett Auditorium on Saturday night.

Appearing quite a distance from her home venue–the New York Metropolitan Opera–Voigt will perform a showcase with The University of Southern Mississippi Symphony Orchestra to celebrate its final performance of this season, the symphony orchestra’s 95th. The performance will feature both operatic and more popular and jazzy music.

Voigt comes to pop singing naturally. She creates each musical mood so perfectly and demonstrates such show-biz savvy that it makes me wish she had more opportunities,” said Opera News, referring to the soprano’s versatility and ability to switch seamlessly between the drama of opera and the more laid back nature of a jazz show.

If this were 1970, she would probably be given her own network variety show.”

Students appeared to be enthusiastic about Voigt’s upcoming performance with the orchestra symphony.

I’m excited to see that such a talented and accomplished opera star is going to be performing in Hattiesburg,” said Austin Allen, a junior communications studies major.

Born in Chicago but raised in southern California, Voigt also has a very inspiring personal story to share, having overcome several addictions during the course of her accomplished career in the opera world. She is well known for being very down-to-earth, by the standards of opera singers.

Members of the symphony orchestra are equally excited by the prospect of performing with the world class opera star.

She’s one of the foremost performers of her voice type today, with an inspirational story about overcoming struggles,” said Abbe Adent, a junior interdisciplinary studies major and symphony orchestra member.

For tickets call the Southern Miss Ticket Office at 601.266.5418 or 800.844.8425 or visiting www.southernmisstickets.com.