Free Comic Book Day Returns

BOMBSHELL comic book store owner, Justin Adcock, says they will give away 12,000 comic books for “free comic book day” this Saturday. -Lavenue Clifton

On Saturday, comic book shops around the world and in Hattiesburg will host Free Comic Book Day, a day to celebrate both independently owned comic book stores and comic book enthusiasts.

According to the organization’s website, Free Comic Book Day is not an individually run organization, but instead is administered by a panel of spokesmen from across the comic book industry from retailers, publishers and distributors.

This year, local Hattiesburg comic book retailers Bombshell Comics and Southern Fried Comics will participate in Free Comic Book Day.

Justin Adcock, the owner of Bombshell Comics, said that his store has participated since the first event in 2002.  Some of the events to expect from Bombshell Comics are hourly sales, a large tent sale outside of the building, visiting artists and appearances from the Mandalorians, a group of local Star Wars cosplayers.

And, of course, there are many free comics.

We’re giving out over 12,000 free comics this year,” Adcock said. “We give out more and more each year.”

Over 40 titles will be offered with new and old titles alike such as Marvel’s “The Avengers,” Dark Horse’s new Chuck Palahniuk graphic edition of “Fight Club,” DC Comics’ “Divergence” and Neil Gaiman’s new project “Lady Justice.”

As one heads downtown, Southern Fried Comics will pair up with the Hub City Humane Society to bring a charitable aspect to the day of fun.

For a $5 donation or a bag of dog food, you’ll get 10 percent off everything in the store that day,” said Barry Herring, owner of SFC.

Two cosplay groups will also be in attendance at the SFC storefront, with Star Wars-themed 501st Legion and steampunk group Airship 67 available for pictures. There will also be a children’s costume contest, with the winner of the contest receiving a $50 Lego prize pack.

If you’ve only seen the movies or watched the TV shows, Saturday is the perfect time to sample a comic,” Herring said. “All you have to do is walk in.”

Both Southern Fried Comics and Bombshell Comics will be open at 11 a.m., but to beat the crowd it is often advised to be there early.

It’s first come, first serve, so who whoever gets there first is going to get the best titles,” Adcock said.  But, we have enough to get through the day.”

For more information on Free Comic Book Day, visit Bombshell Comics or Southern Fried Comic’s respective Facebook pages or visit freecomicbookday.com.