Student struck by vehicle on Hardy Street

A female University of Southern Mississippi student was struck by a vehicle near USM on Friday. 

The student was struck at a crosswalk at the intersection of 31st Avenue and Hardy Street, between the Jr. Food Mart and the Elam Arms parking area.

According to an eyewitness who wishes to remain anonymous, the student was not seriously injured but yelled, “It hurts all over.” She was crossing Hardy Street on her way from the gravel parking area to the university campus.

“I saw the girl get hit by a car this morning in front of Jr. (Food) Mart,” said the senior psychology major about the incident. “She was on the opposite side of the crosswalk, when it wasn’t even signaling to go. So a car turning right on red hit her.”

The eyewitness said the incident occurred at roughly 9:30 a.m. and that emergency services quickly responded.

According to Jon Traxler, the Hattiesburg Police Department’s public information officer, the incident happened on the 3100 block of Hardy Street around 9:40 a.m. Traxler also said that the pedestrian was transported to a local hospital and is in good condition. No charges have been filed against the driver.

Police and emergency medical services swarm to aid the female student struck by a vehicle at about 9:35 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 28.
Police and emergency medical services swarm to aid the female student struck by a vehicle at about 9:35 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 28. | Photo by WDAM

The University of Southern Mississippi issued the following press release:

The injured party is a female student at Southern Miss. She was in the crosswalk at the intersection of Hardy Street and 31st Avenue, coming from a parking lot where Elam Arms once stood toward campus when she was hit by a car. She was transported to Forrest General Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Hattiesburg Police Department was on the scene and would be the agency handling any further information.