Homes of Hope event features celebrity appearance

Homes of Hope holds fundraiser for kids

On Saturday, Aug. 29, Homes of Hope for Children held their 2015 “Painting a Brighter Future” fundraising event at Lake Terrace Convention Center in Hattiesburg. The event included a silent and live auction, a meet-and-greet featuring stars Si, Christine and Philip Robertson from A&E’s “Duck Dynasty,” a raffle and dinner.

More than 500 people bought tickets to attend the event.

Items available for bidding in the live auction included a 2011 GMC Sierra donated by Havard Pest Control, a William Henry Spearpoint Blue Spruce knife donated by Parris Jewelers and personalized guns signed by the “Duck Dynasty” cast.

The silent auction offered packages for date nights, moms’ and dads’ days out and kids’ birthday parties, personalized “Duck Dynasty” items, gift cards, jewelry and multiple sports and leisure items.

The raffle drawing was for the choice of either a Kubota zero turn mower donated by Parish Tractor of Poplarville or $2,000 in cash.

There was a “Bids for the Kids” portion in which attendees had the opportunity to help Homes of Hope cover the cost of expenses, such as birthdays, family vacations, food, haircuts and other day-to-day expenses for the children who live in the homes.

All of the proceeds raised Saturday are going directly toward meeting the basic needs of the children being raised on the Homes of Hope campus. The organization has launched a capital campaign to fund the construction of another cottage, which will house seven more children, in 2016.

Melissa Litke, the on-site director for Homes of Hope, has seen the community come together over the years in support of the organization.

“I’ve never worked in a community that has had such an overwhelming response to the needs of such deserving children. They give from their hearts, and they are really reaching out to the kids in southern Mississippi.” – Litke

Homes of Hope for Children is a non-profit organization in Purvis that serves the Pine Belt by providing stable homes for disadvantaged children ages four to 18 whose families are in crisis and unable to adequately care for them. More information about Homes of Hope and how to donate to their cause can be found on their website, hohfc.org.