Fans flock to theaters for franchise’s finale

The “Hunger Games” trilogy concludes with “Mocking- jay, Part 2,” having premiered Nov. 20. The movie, based on Suzanne Collins’ best- selling series, boasted an estimated $101 million during its opening weekend in the U.S. Worldwide, “Mockingjay, Part 2” grossed more than $247 million.

Katniss Everdeen has managed to inspire not only those around her within the story, but also viewers around the globe. Her strength is evident in the first scene after her brutal encounter with Peeta post-release from President Snow’s captivity. In fact, her strength is evident throughout the entirety of the movie as she deals with losing people she loves.

Katniss is forced to face the inevitable: The rebels finally close in on the Capitol to destroy President Snow and his followers. But as death affects everyone around her, does revenge justify the lives lost?

In one particular scene, Katniss begins to blame herself for all those who have been claimed by the dangerous games played in Panem. Peeta regains his memories, and he calms Katniss by saying their lives always belonged to President Snow. But if Katniss was able to succeed in her plans to kill Snow, then the lives lost would belong to the people who lost them.

Each individual made a choice to stand next to Katniss, because she gave them hope, and if they lost their lives for that hope, then their lives meant something instead of representing another meaningless boom and picture in the sky by the hands of the cynical President Snow.

As the movie dwindles to its end, President Coin, the leader of the rebels, begins to unravel at the edges. Katniss has to make yet another difficult decision. This decision in particular, however, might be the last one to be made due to the severity of her choice.

“Mockingjay, Part 2” is a bittersweet moment for “Hunger Games” fans. Although the series has come to an end, it will be remembered for its inspirational motifs. Katniss Everdeen gave a new definition to the word hero. A hero is not always someone who flies in the sky and can lift a plane. A hero can be a regular girl who is able to overcome unfortunate circumstances, persuade the hearts of others and become a symbol of hope.

This movie is awesome. Only one question remains: Can this franchise really be called a trilogy if the final movie is divided into two parts?