‘Where Art Can Occur’ event features Beyoncé, others

Courtesy Photo

On Saturday, April 29, the inaugural Wearable Art Gala brought out the likes of major stars including Kelly Rowland, Octavia Spencer, Magic Johnson, Kris Jenner, Michelle Williams, Yara Shahidi and, of course, Beyoncé herself.

The lavish event was hosted by Beyoncé’s mother, Tina Lawson.

The gala was in support of the new WACO Center in Los Angeles, California which was established by Tina and her husband, Richard Lawson.

“The purpose of this endeavor is empowering people to gain the skills and ability to identify and pursue their dreams no matter who they are or where they came from,” said Tina in a statement announcing the WACO Theater Center. “It is also to give both professional and non-professional actors, artists and youth a place to celebrate their own talent and artistry.”

Students at WACO, an acronym for “Where Art Can Occur,” will learn to reach tangible goals by applying a systematic roadmap, allowing them to put their dreams into action, resulting in monetizing their unique talent no matter what their age.

The girls will be introduced to working professionals including lawyers and doctors, and Tina will personally offer lessons on etiquette, self-esteem and hygiene.

The evening event inspired artful and avant-garde-like attire.

Tina herself decided upon a stunning gown created out of massive green leaves.

The event seemed to be another mini Destiny’s Child reunion, as Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams showed up for the celebration.

Tina told Entertainment Tonight that Beyoncé, her younger daughter Solange, and Kelly – who are the gala’s honorary chairpersons – have been immensely helpful.

Kelly was striking in a ruffled chiffon gown by designer Monsoori with lavender hair to match.

“They have been so supportive,” she said. “It’s usually me supporting them, so they were all hands on deck for this, all three of them.”

The night’s event was very important to Tina, who says her hard work did not feel like work at all.

“It’s different,” she said of the creative organization. “I’ve worked really hard all my life, but just mentoring these girls, that’s a whole different thing, and something I’ve always wanted to do. It’s not really work.”

“I have always mentored girls,” Tina said. “Just knowing that we could increase these programs and bring these girls in, it’s amazing.”

Beyoncé didn’t let carrying a set of twins keep her from supporting her mom.

The “Lemonade” singer, who announced in February via Instagram that she and husband, Jay-Z are expecting twins.

Thirty-five-year-old Beyoncé was dressed in an elaborate floral headdress and a long-sleeved red gown which featured a plunging neckline.

Jay-Z was seen in a powder blue tuxedo with 5-year-old daughter Blue Ivy in tow. Blue Ivy wore a custom pink Mischka Aoki dress embellished with butterflies.

Beyoncé didn’t just show up, she contributed to the cause by donating two Coachella 2018 festival tickets, backstage passes and her gold-plated tour mic, which was auctioned off at the gala.

“I am super proud of my beautiful mother for creating such an awesome event,” she wrote on Instagram. “Close to $1 million was raised for The WACO Theater Center to benefit young people through their mentorship programs and the arts.”

“Mom, you inspire us all to be generous, selfless, positive, to have empathy, to love and to praise creativity in the world,” Beyoncé said. “It brought tears to my eyes to be a witness to what you and Richard [Lawson] have created together. WACO is a safe place truly Where Art Can Occur.”