‘OITNB’ set to end after seventh season

“Orange is the New Black” was one of Netflix’s first original series. Debuting back in 2013, it was met with widespread acclaim from viewers and critics.

Originally based on Piper Kerman’s memoir “Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison,” showed the world what is was like to be a woman in the penitentiary system.

“OITNB” follows the life of Piper Chapman, a woman in her 30s living in New York when she is sentenced to 15 months in Litchfield Penitentiary, a minimum- security women’s prison, for a crime she committed 10 years earlier. Chapman is forced to leave the comforts of her own life behind and face the cruel realities of having to deal with the repercussions of her past.  

While in prison, Chapman is exposed to racial and gender inequalities, social injustices and the intolerance of how the world views those who are incarcerated.

As the seasons continued “OITNB” slowly shifted its focus away from the main protagonist and began to use the show as a platform to highlight issues that were going on in the world.

Vice President of Original Content for Netflix, Cindy Holland released a statement expressing her feelings about the cancellation of “OITNB.”

“During the production of season one, everyone involved with ‘Orange is the New Black’ felt like we knew we had a special secret we couldn’t wait to share with the world,” Holland said. “Since then, we have laughed, cried, raged and roared with the women of Litchfield and every moment spent with them felt like borrowed time—too good to last forever.”

“OITNB” was groundbreaking for Netflix. It became more than just a show, it became a way for viewers to gain empathy for people whose lives are different from their own and understand that everyone who is incarcerated may not always be a bad person.

“‘Orange is the New Black’ has profoundly impacted popular culture worldwide, and has played a prominent role in building Lionsgate into a platform-defining brand,” said Lionsgate Television Group Chairman, Kevin Beggs. “Thanks to the brilliance of Jenji Kohan, the mastery of the creative and production team, the transcendent cast and our tremendous partnership with Netflix, the series has surpassed our expectations year after year. With great pride, we are working together to bring this landmark series to a triumphant, satisfying close with the upcoming seventh season.”

The cancelation of “Orange” will mark the end of an era for Netflix, but fans of the show still have a little while longer before they will have to say goodbye to the women of Litchfield.

Season seven is slated to premiere in summer 2019.

“After seven seasons, it’s time to be released from prison,” series creator Jenji Kohan said. “I will miss all the ladies of Litchfield and the incredible crew we’ve worked with. My heart is orange but fade to black.”