Rams edge past Bengals in Super Bowl classic

Graphic+by+Kathleen+Hetherington.+
Graphic by Kathleen Hetherington.

This past Sunday in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Rams defeated the Cincinnati Bengals 23-20 in an epic clash at SoFi Stadium in Super Bowl LVI. 

Despite playing in their home stadium, The NFC champions were not the “home team” going into the big game, but with this win, they became the second team to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. 

This is the fourth championship for the Rams, but their first championship as a team in Los Angeles. 

The celebrities were out to watch the big game in Los Angeles and the atmosphere was everything and more. 

The Rams struck first as Matthew Stafford threw a 17-yard touchdown pass to Odell Beckham Jr. ,who had an impressive first half. The Bengals followed with a field goal.

The game was an entertaining back and forth sequence, which involved a Cooper Kupp touchdown, but a missed extra point. 

Also, there were big plays from the Bengals which involved big plays like a big completion to Ja’marr Chase from Joe Burrow, a trick-play touchdown that involved Joe Mixon throwing the ball to Tee Higgins and a big interception by Jessie Bates III that stopped a drive from the Rams.

Unfortunately, OBJ got injured in the second quarter and did not return to the game. The injury has now been confirmed as a torn ACL. 

Moving into the second half, The Bengals took the momentum first and scored on the first play with a 75-yard touchdown pass from Joe Burrow to Tee Higgins and the Bengals took their first lead of the game. 

The Bengals kept their momentum going with the Bengals intercepting Matthew Stafford again and getting the ball back. Unfortunately for Cincinnati, the drive after that interception would lead to a field goal, keeping it a one possession game. 

Aaron Donald and Von Miller dominated the Bengals O-line, sacking Burrow seven times. 

After a few punts by both teams and a field goal by the Rams to make the game 20-16 Bengals, the Rams conducted the game-winning drive.

This drive included fourth down conversions by the Rams, but also some costly penalties by the Bengals’ defense, which led to a Kupp touchdown to take the lead. 

The Bengals had one more chance to win the game, but sadly that would not come as Aaron Donald came up with a clutch pressure to force a Burrow incompletion on fourth and one, effectively ending the game.

Kupp went on to win the Super Bowl MVP, becoming the eight wide receiver to win that award, with eight receptions, 92 yards and two touchdowns.  

Rams superstars like Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham Jr. and Jalen Ramsey finally received their first championship. 

The Bengals unfortunately are 0-3 in the Big Game and are one of 12 teams who are still looking for their first Super Bowl.

But their season did not go to waste as they did bring a conference championship to Cincinnati for the first time in 33 years and collected awards as Joe Burrow won Comeback Player of the Year and Jamarr Chase won Offensive Rookie of the Year. 

And just like that, this crazy whirlwind of the NFL season is over. Now the question is: What’s next for both teams and who will rule the league next year?