Sun Belt welcomes Southern Miss as C-USA seeks legal action

A C-USA flag flies above M. M. Roberts Stadium before the game in 2019.

The ongoing saga between Southern Miss and Conference USA took an unsurprising turn Tuesday as Southern Miss was included in the Sun Belt Conference’s 2022 football schedule. 

While it was an anticipated move, it still does not resolve any conflict between the university and C-USA. 

Southern Miss’ new schedule features conference matchups against Sun Belt opponents despite still being recognized by C-USA.

Southern Miss is still listed on C-USA’s 2022 schedule and is still claimed by the conference. As reported by The Athletic, C-USA demanded arbitration against Southern Miss alongside fellow Sun Belt hopefuls Old Dominion and Marshall. 

In response to this, the three schools respectively received temporary restraining orders against C-USA which pushed the arbitration date to March 7. On that date, Southern Miss will have another hearing with the Forrest County Circuit Court.

“While Conference USA respects the court’s decision to temporarily grant the recent motion filed by Marshall University, the Conference USA Board of Directors stand firm in their belief that all Conference USA institutions, including Marshall, are expected to honor their contractual obligations and adhere to the agreed upon bylaws and covenants,” C-USA said in a statement released following Marshall’s temporary restraining order was granted. “Conference USA is fully prepared to move forward with the remainder of the legal process.”

As it stands, Southern Miss is a part of two different football schedules. Southern Miss officially recognized the Sun Belt’s schedule while ignoring C-USA’s proposed schedule. 

Not only will there likely be financial ramifications for the exodus, but there will also be a scheduling conflict with C-USA. 

With Southern Miss, Marshall and Old Dominion leaving the conference, C-USA will have to scramble to find replacement opponents for the 2022 season if the three schools leave as planned. 

While C-USA has not made a public comment regarding Southern Miss, Marshall and Old Dominion being included in the Sun Belt’s schedule, Sun Belt commissioner Keith Gill welcomed the newcomers in a press release. 

“The Sun Belt Conference—with our successful football programs and the passionate fan bases of our 14 members—is now stronger and much better positioned than it has ever been,” Gill said. “The compelling matchups of our regional rivalries, our already strong foundation, and the addition of four schools will make the 2022 football season one of the most anticipated in the history of the Sun Belt.”

If Southern Miss competes with the Sun Belt in 2022, it opens the door for new matchups and rivalries. There are four schools within 250 miles of Southern Miss, with South Alabama being the closest at 90 miles between the two universities.

The Golden Eagles are scheduled to face first-time opponents Georgia State and Coastal Carolina on the road in consecutive weeks. 

The first scheduled Sun Belt matchup for the Golden Eagles is against Troy, who Southern Miss faced in 2021. 
Southern Miss has a home matchup on Thursday, Oct. 7 against Louisiana at Lafayette. They are also scheduled to face South Alabama on Senior Night followed by Louisiana-Monroe on the road to close out 2022.