Eagle Esports player-coach talks team’s success, program’s future

When Joshua Mackie joined USM’s esports team, Eagle Esports, as a freshman in 2020, he was the only player to participate in the Rainbow Six Siege team’s tryouts. A year later, he led the team to its first division title and finished runner-up in the National Esports Collegiate Conference (NECC) championship tournament.

Mackie’s story is just one of the many representations of the rapid pace that USM’s esports program has taken since its 2020 launch.

Just before Mackie’s team finished second in the Rainbow Six tournament, Team Overwatch won the NECC championship. Team Rocket League finished as the first seed with an 8-0 regular-season record and League of Legends placed #3 in the NECC Championship prior.

And the program’s fast growth can be credited to many things, but the fact that it has established itself early and steady in the blossoming esports scene gives the opportunity to players like Mackie to join and grow with the program.

Before esports, Mackie grew up playing the game as many kids and adults do- as a hobby. But when he learned about esports, he knew that it could become more.

“I remember my first game system was a Nintendo when I was about four years old. I loved video games …so much that I wanted to make it a hobby,” Mackie said.  “I knew nothing about esports until my senior year of high school. I took time and did my own research to see what I can gain out of it and so far, I’ve gained a lot from it.”

Listen to 4th Street Sports Show’s interview with Josh Mackie on Spotify.

Mackie made Team Rainbow Six and also played as a substitute for Team Call of Duty in his freshman year. 

However, the transition from playing as a hobby to competitively isn’t as seamless as it may appear.

“It was a big jump for me because I usually play video games for fun. [I] hop on a few games with the family or friends of mine…but now, it’s okay, we’re playing to win-this is something serious. When that sets in that I’m actually playing for a prize, it’s a whole different mindset to approach the game.”

Mackie ultimately dropped Call of Duty, finding that he couldn’t get to the competitive level he wanted to be at, instead opting for his preferred game of Rainbow Six Siege, which he says he likes because it is more team-focused.

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege is an online tactical first-person shooter (FPS) released by Ubisoft in 2015, noted for its strategies and team play orientation.

Mackie’s team focus led him to his position as the team’s coach, which has brought on a new role for the sophomore. But, still, he values the importance of team leadership.

Mackie plays Siege with his teammates. (Photo Courtesy of Mackie)

“I’m the main spokesperson for the team but I’m also the one leading the charge when it comes to making strategies for the team. So far I’ve learned that the role as a coach is not just set to one person because I’ve led my team to say that anyone can be a coach- anyone has ideas,” Mackie said. “I don’t want to be the only one making all the ideas because your idea may be better…all of us are leaders in the game.”

Mackie says that his team has been praised for their team-oriented play, especially after playing against a team with an individual-based strategy.

It’s this vital communication that Mackie says he stresses to stay calm and even recommends his teammates do breathing exercises so they can stay sharp during matches.

And personally, Mackie says he has grown over time but continues to push growth for his team and to ensure a potential future in esports.

“I’m trying to continually improve because I’m a coach. I want to be able to say I gave all I can to this team, I improved in the game and when I do graduate, I can continue to play the game I love but not just be a couch player, but someone who’s playing this game competitively,” Mackie said.

While Mackie’s team fell just short of a program title against St. John’s University, he says the match was a good experience to build on after taking their opponent to a fifth match in a best of five series.

“People were looking at us like wow, they just took the third seed and didn’t let them win a single round. People were like wow, this team is no joke,” Mackie said. “We may be a big school, but hey, we can get the big schools a run for their money.”

Mackie looks to keep that same energy as his team next plays April 9-10 in the Land Shark tournament hosted by the University of Mississippi’s esports team.

Eagle Esports will play larger name programs such as Alabama, Arizona and Texas A&M in the tournament.

Mackie sees it mostly as a learning opportunity to play against big competition but he said not to rule out Eagle Esports to make some waves.

“Trust me, we are going to blow a few people away. I don’t want to get too arrogant, but be on the lookout,” Mackie said.

You can watch Mackie’s team compete in the Landshark tournament starting April 9 at https://www.twitch.tv/team/olemissesports.
 Follow Eagle Esports on twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/southernmsesportsofficial and on Twitter for updates at https://twitter.com/USMesports.