Southern Miss Homecoming Preview

Are you ready for homecoming? This week get ready for some fun, football, band, and more that’s coming up this week. This is the University of Southern Mississippi week to host homecoming. It’s getting ready to kick off with events that is going on across campus. It is a tradition in the university.   

Students and Alums are getting rally up for this moment. Everyone from around the area is coming to this special events. Alums are joining together to catch and have good time. While students get ready for the festivities that will be going on.   

“There’s a lot of pieces going into Homecoming this year. There’s a lot of departments that work on it such as Student Alumni Association orientation and transition programs, and then of course SGA.” said Bayley Busby, Chief of staff.   

The Student Government Association started off the week with Where’s Waldo. Then early that morning, they had Seeking Seymour. Students all around campus uses their phone to find clues, and if they find him students will take a picture. It will end on Thursday. 

“I’ve had the opportunity to be your SGA president, so I get to the opportunity to be a Waldo. Additionally, we’re finding Seymour, or seeking Seymour. Also, this week, we’re going to have a homecoming kickoff tonight, we’re going to have several other events. My most favorite event that we’re going to have though is going to be a Wednesday and that is going to be bringing on Eagle Style, which is a big homecoming competition,” said Ashely Lankford, SGA President.   

“It will be a lot of festivities this homecoming. They will be a blood drive from Tuesday through Thursday. The faculty and staff have a community service project with the IMP office where people can come and bag lunches, and teams get point for that”, said Busby.  

Thursday they will have Eagle escape room, and it will be in the Payne Center. Friday there will be the traditions, sitting at the fountains, doing trivia questions about Southern Miss. Saturday the homecoming court at the homecoming breakfast with the team. The parade will begin at 1 p.m. and will start at 6 p.m. All of the homecoming court will have a float.  

The campus has a tradition that is coming back.   

“So back in the day, we had yard displays, and you can see them at the front of campus right now and so we have brought that tradition back this year, and I know that we are also excited for it”, said Busby.   

“This basically means teams are staying up for hours to pop a little tissue paper and make a display that really shows like the theme you’re so golden Southern Miss.,” said Busby.  

The deadline for the posters is Friday, and you will see them in on display in front of the school. It will be a fun week.