Partners for the Arts hosts POPS in the Park

Sarah Grace Meyn
USM Symphonic Winds with special guests Spirit of Southern and USM Jazztet perform at POPS in the Park.

The University of Southern Mississippi’s Partners for the Arts recently held POPS in the Park, a new event, under the guidance of its new chair, Anna Rush.
The event took place on the Hattiesburg campus at Spirit Park. It opened at 5 p.m., and the concert began at 6 p.m. Dr. Colin McKenzie, director of the School of Music, and Southern Miss Symphonic Winds performed popular music ranging from jazz to pop, rock to big band, and film scores to the great American songbook, and Broadway hits.
The concert event included a performance by the Southern Miss Jazztet and the Spirit of Southern acapella group. Along with food and beverages, guests also enjoyed the show with picnic baskets and blankets.
While general admission was free, the Partners for the Arts VIP experience was $50 per person for members only. There were only 100 tickets available, including a gourmet picnic dinner, complimentary drinks (wine, champagne, and beer), a t-shirt, a wristband, covered table seating, and more provided by Southern Oaks Catering. You had to be at least over the age of 21 to secure a VIP ticket that is limited to Partners for the Arts members.
Events like POPS in the Park ensure that Partners for the Arts can continue to support Southern Miss performance ensembles and the talented students and faculty who take part in them. Profits from POPS in the Park will supply support to the university’s arts programs and students.
Partners for the Arts support the arts programs at USM (University of Southern Mississippi) that are put together into our community’s core. Also, it secures scholarships, mentoring opportunities for students, and the creation and production of art at USM.
“It’s an amazing place for the Arts here at the University of Southern Mississippi, in large part because of the students that you see here, but also because of the world-class faculty that exists here to work and support these students every day,” said Dr. McKenzie.
Membership in Partners for the Arts enhances opportunities for students at USM to have life-changing and career-altering experiences while supplying essential support to expand access to world-class arts events and artists to highlight events from concert halls, galleries, theater, dance halls, and more.
To become a member of Partners for the Arts, go to the University of Southern Miss foundation page, type in PFTA, and click donate to fill out the information. For more information, contact Kate Smith at 601.266.5095 or [email protected].
Be on the lookout for more events involving Partners for the Arts.