2023-24 EAGLE Scholars Program Cohort announced

The University of Southern Mississippi College of Business and Economic Development recently announced the 2023-24 selections for its EAGLE Scholars Program Cohort. Fourteen Scholars are the recipients of the 2023 – 2024 EAGLE Scholars Program. Each scholar student received a scholarship covering full tuition and a book allowance for each semester enrolled in the College of Business with a minimum 3.0 GPA. It equals up to $8,000, with the possibility of additional support for study abroad or summer school programs, amounting to up to $2,000.
The 2023-24 EAGLE Scholar recipients are:
Julian Atehortua: Junior, International Business; Hometown: Rionegro, Colombia
Lainey Bartlett: Junior, Accounting; Hometown: Vancleave, Mississippi
Abby Box: Junior, Accounting; Hometown: Jackson, Mississippi
DeAnthony Dickerson: Junior, Entrepreneurship; Hometown: Starkville, Mississippi
Kathleen Garraway: Senior, Human Resources Management; Hometown: Madisonville, Mississippi
Maggie Gressett: Senior, Marketing; Hometown: Lake, Mississippi
Alejandro Hung: Junior, Finance; Hometown: Porlamar, Venezuela
Faith Kitowski: Junior, Merchandising; Hometown: Plover, Wisconsin
Andrew Myers: Senior, Accounting and Finance; Hometown: Slidell, Louisiana
Haeden Overby: Senior, Hospitality and Tourism Management; Hometown: Oxford, Mississippi
Ashlyn Roche: Junior, Accounting; Hometown: Mandeville, Louisiana
Desiree Rodriguez: Senior, Marketing; Hometown: Biloxi, Mississippi
Charla Thomas: Senior, Accounting; Hometown: Clinton, Mississippi
Andrew Welch: Senior, Finance; Hometown: Hamilton, Mississippi
Lainey Bartlett, an EAGLE scholar from Vancleave, expressed her gratitude for being part of the EAGLE Scholar Program.

“It feels amazing to be an EAGLE Scholars recipient,” Bartlett said. “It has really boosted my confidence as a part of USM College of Business and Economic Development and as a future young professional.”

Russ Willis is the director of the EAGLE Scholars Program. And the scholarship was established by Hyler Bracey, Aubrey Sanford, and Cass Flagg, all alumni and/or former Southern Miss professors. They all want to allow everyone to make a difference in someone else’s life.

The program is committed to encouraging the growth and success of undergraduate business students who stand for integrity, work ethic, academic achievement, and dedication to completing their degrees.

The College of Business and Economic Development also created EAGLE Scholars Program to establish and recognize the importance of character in undergraduate students.
For those interested in the 2024-2025 EAGLE Scholars Program, the application is currently open and will close on March 1, 2024. To apply, students should submit the following to usmfoundation.com/go. A part of the application is an essay, no longer than two pages in length, a resume, and two to three letters of recommendation from people who speak to the applicant’s work ethic, integrity, commitment, and motivation to complete the degree. Submit your completed packet online to the USM Foundation through the GO system scholarship application process.

In order to qualify for the EAGLE Scholars Program, students must be enrolled in full-time hours, majoring in Business, having a 3.0 GPA or higher, demonstrating financial need, supplying evidence of integrity and trustworthiness, displaying a strong work ethic, articulating clear goals for the short and long term, showing a willingness to take part in programs to enhance his/her experience and exemplifying the character and commitment to complete their business degree.

The selection process for EAGLE Scholars is highly competitive, with candidates being evaluated on several criteria.

“I was not sure about applying at first, but I knew I was passionate about the core values of the program,” Bartlett said. “I decided to take the chance, and by my surprise, I got in.”

For more information on the College of Business and Economic Development EAGLE Scholars Program, contact the USM Foundation by calling 601.266.5210. If you have any questions about the EAGLE Scholars Program, please email [email protected].