SMAC hosts annual Fright Fest

Mya Evans
SMAC’s annual Fright Fest is a staple of USM’s Halloween celebrations, highlighted by this year’s evening of dancing, exciting treats and fun costumes.

The Southern Miss Activities Council recently hosted its annual Fright Fest at Spirit Park.  

Halloween is in the air at the university. Students came out to enjoy the festivities. At the event, there were games and snacks for guests to enjoy. Also, a DJ was on hand to keep guests dancing. 

“It was originated by the SMAC community members,” said SMAC’s general body member, Kamaiya Williams. “We all came together and wanted to celebrate the community, and students to look forward to the Halloween spirit.”

Several students showed up with excitement and enjoyed what was going on outdoors. They even had a set that had liquid nitrogen marshmallows.

Students enjoyed the smokiness that came out their mouths and were intrigued by the coldness from the liquid nitrogen. It gave the Halloween feel they were looking for at the event.

The Fright Fest had games such as hammer throw, connect four, and more. The members of SMAC dress up as haunted characters from movies. The outcome of the event turned out to be a success. 

“Yes, I’m very happy with the outcome of the Fright Fest,” Williams said. “I feel the participation was great. A lot of our community came out to support, so I will say it’s a 10/10.”

Some members of SMAC dressed as haunted characters to get a scare out of the students. And some folks didn’t even recognize the students that were in the costume. 

“A lot of people enjoyed the costume,” said participant Karlton Love. “I scared most of the people I knew, and they were shocked and entertained when they found out it was me.” 

Throughout the event, DJ Kuhjo came out and rocked the house with his skills to keep the people dancing. From dancing to the University finest “Flex” to “Thriller,” the crowd were enjoying each other’s company and the scariness of the event.  

Overall, the event turned out great. Be on the look for SMAC’s next event around campus. You can follow them on Instagram @usm_smac for more information. Make sure to come out, you do not want to miss it.