USM Trombone Recital features Caleb Owenby

Huey Turlich
Caleb Owenby, Nathan Sanders, and Zhaolei Xie bowing after their performance.

The University of Southern Mississippi College of Arts and Sciences School of Music recently held a recital, featuring Caleb Owenby, on November 11 in the Fine Arts Building.
Owenby is a graduate student and trombonist at Southern Miss and is pursuing his Doctorate of Musical Arts degree under the guidance of Dr. Ben Mcllwain. As a part of the requirements in obtaining a doctoral degree, graduate students are required to perform a certain number of recitals to fulfill the requirements.
The recital was led by Owenby, and he was accompanied by Zhaolei Xie on piano, Nathan Sanders on percussion, and the Hardy Street Brass Quintet. The performance was held in Marsh Auditorium where music lovers alike came out to enjoy a Saturday evening of music. The event was free of charge and welcomed everyone to come out and listen to the performance. And the performance started at 7:30 p.m. where students and others were waiting in anticipation for the recital.
The auditorium was filled with students and observers as the music began. The recital was off to a start with the performance of Special by Pierre Gabaye, played by graduate student Caleb Owenby. The graduate student performed four pieces of works by various artists. Two of these works consisted of three movements.
The night ended with the final performance by the Hardy Street Quintet which included Robert Smith, Kyle Matthees, Anna Zurawski, Joey Caponera, and Caleb Owenby.
“I just wanted to say thanks to Nathan Sanders for helping with all the setup and Xie on piano and all of the trombone players who helped,” Owenby said.
Owenby ended the night with gratitude to all members of the recital that made everything run smoothly.
For more information on the school of music and upcoming events, follow the school of music social media pages. You can also keep up with the free events from the school of music on the USM calendar website at calendar.usm.edu.