British Studies Program offers information to students

USM%E2%80%9Ds+British+Studies+Program+has+existed+for+almost+50+years%2C+and+is+now+offering+for+students+to+join+them+for+summer+2024.+
Jon Tyson on Unsplash.com
USM”s British Studies Program has existed for almost 50 years, and is now offering for students to join them for summer 2024.

For this Valentine’s Day, the British Studies Program held a Valentine’s Day informational session to invite students to join the program. The info session was to offer students an overview of the British Studies Program. It was held in Library Room 209A on Feb. 7th.

David R. Davies, academic director of the British Studies Program, stated the program will run this summer for July in London and Edinburgh, Scotland.

“The purpose is to offer an overview of this program to students to see what questions anyone might have about the program,” said Davies.

If students go online, everything is there for them to know about the program. A description of the course’s overviews, the cost, etc., that students would want to know about it.

In British Studies, students get six hours of credit for taking one of eight or nine courses in Biogeography, English, Political Science Business, Graphic Design, history, Psychology, and theater.

“The program has been going for almost 50 years. We anticipated it to be a particularly exciting summer because of the Paris Olympics,” said Davies.

Students are guided by veteran faculty and staff through London on group outings. Students will learn how to navigate London’s transportation system and will be exposed to London’s hottest tourist spots and some little-known gems.

After the first week in England, students will travel around England over the weekend. Below are some of the optional Weekend Explore experiences.

British Studies features a “mini break” during the third on-site weekend of the program.

Student housing for the summer will be provided in spacious residence halls through local partners. Each hall offers shared bedrooms, private or shared bathrooms, and access to communal living areas and kitchens. Students will also have access to laundry facilities and community rooms. Meals are not included, but students can use shared kitchens and easily access local groceries, pharmacies, and restaurants.

Airfare is not included in the program cost, but group flight options are available for those interested. Students can opt-in for group flights through the Study Abroad Portal. Group flights include pick-up and drop-off at London’s Heathrow Airport, with limited spaces available. Fees for group flights will be charged to the student’s SOAR account, along with program fees and tuition. Students leaving from Dallas can book flights through the program’s travel agent after approval from the Program Manager, also including pick-up and drop-off at Heathrow. If selected in the application, Dallas students will be notified of group flight availability in their area.

The program dates are from June 26 – July 31, 2024. The application deadline is February 23, 2024. The virtual days are from June 26 -28, 2024. Students leave for London on July 1st. Students land in London on July 2nd. Students return to the U.S. on July 31st.

The deadline for the British Studies Program will be on February 23. Students can get all the information they want to know about the program on the website at www.BritishStudies.com.