AASO hosts 7th Cultural Legends Ball

Raven Payne
At the AASO 7th Annual Cultural Legends Ball, students were treated to a fun evening of dancing and fellowship.

The 7th annual Cultural Legends Ball was on February 16 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Trent Lott Center. The theme of the ball was “Black Love”. Formal attire was required.
At the ball, were performances by students, awards being given, music provided by DJ Peach, and a menu of food.

Azariah Russ, the president of AASO, states that the purpose of the Cultural Legend Ball is to highlight Southern Miss students here on campus.

“The underrepresented community of their achievements that they do in and outside the classroom, especially within their organizations,” Russ said.

It is a tradition that the organization wishes to community throughout Southern Miss. There is an open application to be part of the Afro-American Student Organization.

“There’s an application open right now called AASO in training,” Russ added. “So basically, students will apply for the position that they would like to serve next year. And I will train students since I am the current president so that students can fill those roles next year.”

The Afro-American Student Organization (AASO) is a university-chartered organization established to foster improved race relations on campus. As the pioneering Black organization and the foundational body for all other Black organizations within the university community, it plays a central role in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.

The Afro-American Student Organization at The University of Southern Mississippi is dedicated to advancing academic, social, and cultural well-being among all university students. Through a variety of educational, social, and cultural initiatives, both on and off campus, the organization strives to address the interests and needs of the Black/African American community. These efforts encompass organizing social gatherings, facilitating campus orientation for incoming students, and offering support to members in pursuit of academic excellence. Furthermore, the organization actively promotes scholarship, fosters group discussions on pertinent topics, and endeavors to enhance race relations within both the university and the broader community.

AASO and other organizations reside in the Office of Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement. It is located in the Hub right across from the LSI office.

Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement at Southern Miss focuses on supporting underserved students during their time at the university. They offer experiences to help students grow and develop, aiming to create a caring and welcoming campus community. Additionally, we work to connect Southern Miss students with the Hattiesburg community through service, intending to foster global awareness and create more globally aware citizens.

“We will be having more events this semester,” Russ added. “And as of now, it’ll be all posted on our Instagram account.”

To get more involved and learn more about AASO, follow their Instagram account @aasousm.