Miss Theta Eta crowned at USM

Theta+Eta+hosted+their+annual+Miss+Theta+Eta+Scholarship+pageant%2C+crowning+Iyanna+Amos.+
Raven Payne
Theta Eta hosted their annual Miss Theta Eta Scholarship pageant, crowning Iyanna Amos.

The Thunderous Theta Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated recently hosted their annual pageant. The Miss Theta Eta Scholarship pageant was held on February 25 in the Joe Paul Theater, where young women competed for the crown.
The theme of the pageant was “50 Shades of Her,” which focused on individuality, uniqueness, and bold expression.
Dantrell Lotts, director of programming and public relations of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated, coordinated the pageant.
“I hope the audience saw what our organization can do and what we represent socially and educationally,” Lotts said. “This was to showcase the many different walks of life in our community and to exhibit our dedication to setting an example for scholarship and service as said by our high ideals and principles.”
At the start of the pageant, there was a dance number to introduce the young women.
The contestants of the pageant had to go through three different categories: Presentation, Personal Expression Piece, and Fun Fashion Category.
During the Presentation session, each contestant was presented to the audience and judges as they were introduced in a floor-length gown.
The Personal Expression Piece allowed each contestant to perform an act of personal expression, whether it was dance, song, monologue, etc., for a minimum of five minutes but not to exceed seven minutes.
During the Fun Fashion Category, each contestant modeled attire and accessories of their choice that reflected their personality.
Jakeem Greer, the current chapter president of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated, was one of the hosts of the pageant.
“I would say the most memorable moment was when they first came on stage,” Greer stated. “They did a really good job during the dance, and it showcases the dedication that all of them put into the pageant.”
Towards the end of the pageant, contestants had to wear a formal evening gown and were interviewed, just to see who would be crowned Iyanna Amos as the new Miss 2024 Theta Eta.
“It’s actually so fun,” Amos said. “And I’m so excited for it because this is something that I have never done before. I’m really coming out of my comfort zone. And for this, I’m so happy.”
For securing the crown, Amos received a $500 scholarship, tiara, trophy, sash, flowers, and certificate. She will also go on to represent Phi Beta Sigma at state, regional, and national Conferences. And she will participate in two community service events and serve as a host at fraternity events and projects.
“I was inspired to participate in this pageant to be able to show off my grace, my style, and my boldness, and to be the best me that I can be and to also network and make connections with other people,” said Amos.
Additional awards were Miss Royal Blue, Miss Pure White, People Choice, and more.
“For our organization, next week, we have a full week of events, Monday through Sunday, with our sister organizations, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated,” Greer said. “We’re going to have stuff going on in the morning and evening time. And for our chapter specifically, coming up in late March, we’re having a “Walk like a Sigma” contest.”
If any young ladies are interested in coming out and learning some of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity’s moves to compete against other young ladies in the contest, be on the lookout for more on their Instagram page @usmsigmas.