The City of Tomorrow performs at USM

Sarah Grace Meyn
A bassoon player enlightens the crowd with their performance at the concert.

An inspiring musical performance was made by The City of Tomorrow quintet as a part of the Connoisseurs Chamber Music Series on Feb.8 in Marsh Auditorium and was free for all community members.
The event was hosted by Southern Mississippi’s School of Music within the College of Arts and Sciences. The performance highlighted the City of Tomorrow members who specialize as a wind quintet. They performed six ensembles under the title “The Faculty of Sensing.” Throughout the show, each piece featured an experimental and fearless aesthetic. Using choreography and a unique ensemble-controlled lighting setup while performing, they brought an immersive experience for all attendees.
The group is committed to 21st century music and is fearless in thinking and performing creatively.
“We want to bridge the gap in what people are used to hearing and what they’re not,” said oboe player, Steuart Breczinski.
Flutist, Elise Blanchard, added, “We are a subversive ensemble, so showing a different side of contemporary music for people to think about is a great feeling for us.”
The Quintet and their creativity wowed members of the community.
“It’s an inspiration for us students,” said audience member Sarah Stoddard.
Others also found the performance encouraging and are grateful to experience the Connoisseur Series throughout their college careers.
“As students, this allows us to see what we may want to strive to do in the future,” stated Amoiree Kelly, a student at the School of Music.
After the show, the musicians invited students to the stage to learn more about what it takes to create a captivating ensemble. The students could look closer at the instruments and speak to the artists one on one. They were also shown the sheet music that the members observed during the performance, due to the artists’ creative approach, the sheet music was not typical. While still containing musical notation, there were many hand-drawn pictures and diagrams. Breczinski explained that the graphic music is meant to help the ensemble stay creative while also assisting them in remembering their physical choreography and cues from each other.
The City of Tomorrow members also gave advice for the students in the School of Music.
“Say yes to all opportunities; you never know what it may lead to,” said horn player, Leander Star.
Blanchford chimed in to say, “Keep making interesting art, and you will find your people.”
The members also stated how important it is to make music with people who share the same passion and people that you love.
Dr. Galit Kaunitz, associate professor in the School of Music mentioned that the School of Music looks forward to inviting more guests to USM to participate in The Connoisseur Series. This series offers the students a chance to learn from specialists, curators, collaborators and teachers such as The City of Tomorrow. Not only are the students able to learn, but the ensembles are as well.
“Thank you for creating an interactive community for artists and students to learn from and inspire each other,” said Breczinski, discussing the series’ impact.
Kaunitz further explained the series’ significance.
“The Connoisseur Series was made to bring high-profile groups to Hattiesburg,” Kauntiz said. “If someone is interested in coming to a concert, they should definitely come as there is no dress code. We are always so appreciative to have a larger audience including people from Hattiesburg and the USM Campus.”
If you are interested in attending the upcoming concert, mark your calendar for Thursday, March 28 at 7:30 p.m. The Aya Piano Trio will take the stage in Marsh Auditorium to teach, inspire and entertain all USM personnel and Hattiesburg residents free of charge.