Tornado leaves Tupelo in disarray

Associated Press
Kim Linych and her neices and nephew sit outside, grieving the destruction from the dangerous storm system that killed nine people in Mississippi and several others in neighboring states. Tupelo, the hometown of Elvis Presley, tallied one of the total 31 deaths resulting from the Monday night twisters. Bart Aguirre, the Tupelo chief of police, said emergency crews will have their hands full this week. These crews began their work Tuesday morning by going door to door, searching for both the living and the dead.  Hunt Mercier/Printz
Kim Linych and her neices and nephew sit outside, grieving the destruction from the dangerous storm system that killed nine people in Mississippi and several others in neighboring states. Tupelo, the hometown of Elvis Presley, tallied one of the total 31 deaths resulting from the Monday night twisters. Bart Aguirre, the Tupelo chief of police, said emergency crews will have their hands full this week. These crews began their work Tuesday morning by going door to door, searching for both the living and the dead.
Hunt Mercier/Printz

Joe Holloway surveys damage from the American Legion in Tupelo Tuesday morning, April 29. A dangerous storm system that spawned a chain of deadly tornadoes over three days flattened homes and businesses, forced frightened residents in more than half a dozen states to take cover and left tens of thousands in the dark Tuesday morning. Zachary Odom/Printz
Joe Holloway surveys damage from the American Legion in Tupelo Tuesday morning, April 29. A dangerous storm system that spawned a chain of deadly tornadoes over three days flattened homes and businesses, forced frightened residents in more than half a dozen states to take cover and left tens of thousands in the dark Tuesday morning.
Zachary Odom/Printz