USM’s Point Sur arrives in Gulfport Sunday

The Point Sur vessel USM purchased from the San Jose State University Research Foundation.

The University of Southern Mississippi’s newest research vessel, the Point Sur, docked at its new home at the Port of Gulfport Sunday, according to a USM press release. The 135-foot vessel completed a three-week voyage from San Jose, California, through the Panama Canal and into the Gulf of Mexico.

On Sunday afternoon, more than 30 Southern Miss students, faculty, staff and Port of Gulfport representatives welcomed the Point Sur upon arrival. Attendees also had the opportunity to tour the vessel, the press release reported.

The Point Sur will be ready for research operations April 19. For day cruises, the vessel can hold up to 40 researchers, while for longer excursions, it can accommodate 13 researchers and technicians and a crew of eight, according to the press release.

The vessel will be used to explore the Gulf of Mexico and also further research the 2010 BP oil spill as well as other research projects and educational trips.

On April 24 at 1:30 p.m., a formal celebration for the Point Sur will take place at the Port of Gulfport.

For more information about the Point Sur, contact the Office of University Communications at 228.865.4574.