USM updates mask mandate, COVID-19 protocols

The University of Southern Mississippi made revisions to its mask mandate, limiting it to just within instructional and health care settings only. The updated protocols will take effect immediately after the Mardi Gras break.

“Effective Wednesday, March 2, 2022, face coverings on all University of Southern Mississippi campuses, teaching and research sites will be required in instructional and health care settings only, regardless of vaccination status,” the university wrote in a statement released to students, faculty and staff.

The revision comes shortly after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] updated its guidelines on masks on Feb. 25. 

The new CDC guidelines marked down the suggested population that should wear masks by 70%, instead suggesting that counties monitor changes in COVID-19 within their communities to make the decision whether or not to mandate masks.

The University of Mississippi and Mississippi State recently lifted its mask mandate in February as well.

While face coverings will still be required in classes and health care settings, they will no longer be required in other indoor spaces on campus, such as dormitories, the library and the Union.

The CDC says that most Americans can safely go without a mask in low to medium risk areas but still suggests wearing masks indoors in high-risk areas.

Those who test positive for COVID-19 are still required to mask after their isolation period upon the guidance of their doctor and current CDC guidelines for quarantine.

The university remains their stance of urging students to get a COVID-19 vaccination and update their immunization with a booster shot.

Visit usm.edu/student-health-services/monitoring_coronavirus to see the Moffitt Health Center’s resources for COVID-19 as well as to monitor the virus on campus.