Gov. to Sign Concealed Carry Bill

A new law allowing concealed carry of a gun in a purse, handbag, satchel or briefcase, was passed by the Mississippi House last week.

The Senate is expected to approve the agreement and send it to the governor to sign.

The Clarion-Ledger reported Gov. Phil Bryant will absolutely sign the bill into law. Bryant said his wife might find it handy for carrying her gun.

She’s a darned good shot,” Bryant said.

Students at USM also  expressed their thoughts on the new law. If this law were signed by Bryant, it would allow concealed carry on campuses without a permit as well.

I don’t necessarily agree without the permits, but coming from the family that I came from, guns are a big part of our family,” said Katie Wilson, a psychology major at USM. Wilson believed that without permits it would seem more dangerous.

I agree with the permit,” she said. “If you had to go through the procedure of getting a permit, then it’s OK.”

Darius Jernigan, another USM student, also commented on the law.

I think it’s good to have a gun on you for self-defense reasons,” Darius said. “I’m not sure about the no-permit part though.

Jernigan said it is necessary for people to obtain a permit for a concealed weapon.

“You have a right to carry, but you got to go through the steps of having a permit,” Jernigan said. She said the reason for this is he would feel safer around the community if people were registered carriers.

However, there are those who do not agree with the law of concealed carry.

Keepgunsoffcampus.org gave reasons as to why having concealed guns on campus will do no one any good.

The website reported concealed carry would actually make college campuses dangerous, and the site showed an actual increase of crime and violence in states with concealed carry, such as Utah and Colorado.

Opponents argue the opposite. Armedcampuses.org reported armed campuses make institutions the safest in the country.

According to the website, a Department of Justice study found that 93 percent of violent crimes that victimize college students occur off campus.