Victoria’s Secret Ad Gets Sexy Wrong

Lane Bryant takes a stand against Victoria’s Secret’s latest ad titled “Secret Angels” and pulls no punches.

The lingerie clothing line Victoria’s Secret just released a new ad for its latest clothing line featuring skinny women. This ad promotes, once again, the company’s version of a sexy woman.

Opposite of Victoria’s Secret is the plus size women’s clothing company Lane Bryant, who countered the ad with their own, named “I’m no angel.” The company also began its own hashtag movement.

According to an article from USA Today, models said the phrase, “I’m no angel, I’m all kinds of sexy.”

The article said the brand used the hashtag #ImNoAngel to go along with the idea that sexy is defined by every woman, not some.

These models are absolutely right. The term “sexy” for women is not reserved for those who weigh less than 100 pounds. Curves are very attractive to many guys out there. Victoria’s Secret seems to still live in the ‘50s and ‘60s when skinny was deemed beautiful. Times have changed and the brand hasn’t.

An article from Business Insider said Victoria’s Secret’s image is under pressure. The article said several key models have left the brand while plus-sized customers petition executives to offer larger sizes.

Branding expert and University of Southern California professor Jeetendr Sehdev told Business Insider, “Victoria’s Secret is in real danger of losing its relevance amongst women as the brand is labeled sexist and stodgy.”

I’m inclined to agree with the professor. History has shown that if you don’t change with the times, you will ultimately be discarded and forgotten. Here in America, plus-sized women deserve the same recognition under the label of “sexy” as skinny women. Every woman makes her own unique brand of sexy.

There are those that would say they don’t date on appearance. Research shows otherwise.

An article from bonytobombshell.com points out that when you’re dating, physical attractiveness does matter, even a little bit. Even if you are the kind of person that doesn’t date on appearances alone, it does factor into whom you want to have a relationship with.

That’s why it’s extremely important that Victoria Secret get pushed like this. Whether they know it or not, they have contributed to this insane cultural theme of “no fat is super sexy” and that anything different is just not. Victoria’s Secret needs to take Lane Bryant’s example and make an effort to push big as beautiful, sexy and stunning.