Kappa to Host Krimson and Kreme Pageant

Twelve Southern Miss students will compete Sunday, April 26, at 6:30 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Ballrooms for the title of Miss Krimson and Kreme.

The Kappa Iota chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity hosts the scholarship pageant, making this year the eighth annual pageant.

According to Perry Robinson, a junior broadcast journalism major and member of Kappa Alpha Psi, the pageant was created as a way to give back to the young ladies of Southern Miss, who serve as their primary support in various events.

We decided to put on this scholarship pageant as way to assist these women in their academic studies, just as how they assist us with a lot of the things we put on and have,” Robinson said.

Alexandria Walton, a junior dance education major, will compete in the 2015 pageant and described it as one of her most memorable experiences of the semester.

I feel very confident and excited about the pageant. It has definitely been one of the best experiences I’ve had this year,” Walton said.

Raychelle Gammage, a junior broadcast journalism major, expressed her excitement for one particular area of the competition.

I’m mostly looking forward to the talent portion of the pageant because I really dedicated time into perfecting my talent,” Gammage said. “I’m ready for everyone to see all the hard work myself and the other 11 contestants have put in.”

The pageant will consist of 4 areas of competition: introductions, swimsuit, evening gown and a question and answer portion.

Contestants will have a chance to make the competition fun, with this year’s theme, “How to Get Away with the Krown.”

The title resonates from the ABC hit television show, “How to Get Away with Murder” produced by “Scandal” and “Grey’s Anatomy” writer Shonda Rhimes, which the Kappas decided to put a spin on and make their own.

Miss Krimson and Kreme along with the first and second place alternates will receive a monetary scholarship.

Other awards will be given such as Most Ads Sold, Miss Congeniality and Miss Photogenic as well.

Robinson urges the student body to come out and enjoy the event.

If you haven’t been to one of our pageants, then you’re missing out,” Robinson said. “It’s one of the best events of the year,6 and I highly suggest you bring out family and friends to spectate and support such a great event.

Admission will be $5 before the pageant, and $7 at the door.