USM finishes last in Bayou City Classic

Golf Action (Joe Harper/bgnphoto.com)
Golf Action (Joe Harper/bgnphoto.com)

Southern Miss’ rough season continued this past weekend in the Bayou City Classic in Houston. The event was co- hosted by Houston, Rice and Sam Houston State and was at the Golfcrest Country Club.

The Golden Eagles placed 14th out of 14 teams for their second consecutive last place finish. Overall, they shot a 64-over par with a total score of 928.

Ryan Argotsinger had the best weekend for Southern Miss, posting a 7-over par which could have been much better.

In his first two rounds, he shot a 3-under, 69 and a 1-over 73 before regressing to an 81-stroke round Tuesday.

Hayes Weathersby was Southern Miss’ most consistent performer, shooting in the mid- 70’s in each round. He finished tied for 45th place at 11-over par.

Matt Codd and Willie Hammond tied for 74th place at 25-over par while Derick Kelting finished in 79th place at 29-over par.

Houston won the event at 6-over par collectively, followed by North Texas at 8-over and Kansas at 14-over.

Houston’s Matt Dunn and McNeese State’s Robert MacIntyre finished the tournament tied for first at 5-under par, forcing a playoff. After both players remained tied after the first playoff hole, Dunn edged out MacIntyre, shooting a par on the 16th hole while MacIntyre bogied.

Southern Miss will look to end their recent streak of last place finishes when they take part in The Grove Intercollegiate in College Grove, Tennessee Oct. 25 through Oct. 27. The Oak Grove Intercollegiate will be its last tournament this fall before picking back up in February for the Oak Hills Invitational in San Antonio.