Student attends leadership conference

Student attends leadership conference

James Fox, physical education major, has been selected to take part in the Southern District Future Professional Leadership Conference (FPLC).

According to a university press release, the FPLC was hosted by the Society of Health and Physical Educators of America from Oct. 8 through 10, at Eastern Tennessee University.

Robert Doan, assistant professor of kinesiology at The University of Southern Mississippi, expressed great joy and confidence in his student’s abilities.

“(Fox) is a natural leader in the classroom,” Doan said. “I am excited for the opportunity he had to learn how to continue to develop his leadership skills be a leader in his profession for a lifetime.”

Doan nominated Fox to participate in the conference.

This is the second year in a row a student from USM has been selected to attend the FPLC. Doan said the conference is all a part of the School of Kinesiology’s goal to become the best physical education program for students.

“We are striving to be the best physical education program in the South and having students attend the conference helps in this process,” Doan said.

The Society of Health and Physical Educators is an organization whose mission is to advance professional practice and promote research related to health and physical education, physical activity, dance and sport.

The conference hosted by the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) provides students with the opportunity to develop leadership and professional skills within their future profession.

Fox said he participated in sessions for professional development, networking, resumé development and how to integrate current technology in the classroom. As president of the Physical Education Major Club at USM, Fox also learned how to improve his student organization.

Team building activities included rock  climbing and hiking through the Appalachian Trail. Fox encourages students majoring in physical education participate in similar opportunities.

“These types of opportunities are so valuable to your personal education and future professional life,” Fox said. Fox expressed his passion for what he is studying and his goals in life.

“I chose this degree because of my love for a healthy lifestyle and desire to share that with others,” Fox said. “My desire is to teach others how to live a healthy lifestyle and to be the best version of themselves physically, mentally and spiritually.”