Improv troupe prepares for season opener

The University of Southern Mississippi comedy improv troupe, Stage Monkeys, will present their first show of the semester, the “Red Carpet Show,” at 7 p.m. Thursday in Wilbur Stout Hall Room A, free of charge.

In addition to performing improv comedy, Stage Monkeys will also present “Slashtag,” an original short horror-comedy film.

Theresa Geboy, Stage Monkeys president and senior theatre major, said she is excited and has high expectations for the show.

“It’s going to be a great night of comedy and entertainment,” Geboy said.

Stage Monkeys is USM’s only comedy improv troupe. Since Stage Monkeys was founded in 2000, it has grown a fan base and held a number shows. Its shows consist of live games and skits comparable to the popular television show “Whose  Line is it Anyway?” According to its numerous online event listings, the troupe promises the “Red Carpet Show” will be a “glamorous and star- studded night of award-worthy improvised comedy.”

Geboy said Stage Monkeys chose to name the show the “Red Carpet Show” to nod to the premier of the 10-minute short “Slashtag,” which will be screened directly following the night’s performance.

“Slashtag” is a slasher film produced by The Crew, a student- run organization at USM that creates and produces a variety of media. The film stars some of the Stage Monkeys’ members including Theresa Geboy, Logan Haliburton and Samantha Bull.

“We are hoping to get a lot of people out to see our show since it’s the first one of the semester, and we have changed rooms on campus,” Geboy said. “We just want people to come and have a good laugh and a great time.”

Sophomore media production major Gaqueta Alexander said she is looking forward to the show.

“I’ve seen the Stage Monkeys perform a few times during events hosted through Luckyday, and I could not stop laughing,” she said. “I love how they really get the crowd involved.”

Alexander remembers when she first heard of the troupe.

“When I first found out that the Stage Monkeys was composed of USM students, I remember thinking, ‘Wow, these people are amazing!’ so I know that they will keep the laughs going, and I’m ready to laugh until my belly hurts,” she said.

She said she also looks forward to the premiere of “Slashtag.” Alexander joined The Crew this semester and participated as an extra in the short film.

“I was inspired and gained a deeper level of appreciation for the industry,” she said. “Overall, I know it’s going to be a great night filled with laughter and suspense.”