Glow Run attempts to keep students safe, healthy

Participants of the 5K glow run Running at the beginning of the race on Tuesday, April 19.

The University of Southern Mississippi Recreational Sports and Eagles After Hours hosted the 2016 5K Glow Run on April 19.

The annual event allowed students of the university and community members to dress- up in neon and glow attire and run three miles around the Hattiesburg campus.

Participants competed for their personal best, while others simply enjoyed a night of entertainment and athleticism with their peers. The Glow Run began at Pride Field and trailed across the entire campus. The participants ranged from experienced runners to those just attending to have a good time.

“I feel tired, but I made it through the race,” said Jamar Sims, senior Sports Management student and track team member.

“My goal was to just finish the race, and I did, so I’m pretty excited with this being my first
time participating in a 5K.”

Eagle After Hours was also their to support for students and the community to provide a safe, yet fun, environment. The event included games, food and a DJ to enhance an exciting atmosphere.

“This is something special that we put on for students after hours so they don’t have to feel like going to a bar or another place that may not be as safe to have a good time,” said April Jordan, Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator for Recreational Sports.

Several prizes were given at the event for the most creative costume and fastest male and female runner.
The event was free for students, but community members were asked to bring a fee of $10 that go towards supplies and entertainment for the run, expanding on greater ideas for years to come.

“The Glow Run allows the students to get out and meet new people around campus, network and to just create great memories with their friends,” Jordan said.

The Glow Run was established a few years ago, and the 2016 run marks the biggest turnout. The event was cancelled earlier during the month because of inclement weather but was rescheduled at a better date, according to organizers.

Dugan Thorderson, junior kinesiology and exercise science major, encourages more students to get involved in activities such as this.

“Running is something good to do,” Thorderson said. “It’s healthy for you. Many students don’t realize that we’re at the prime age of our lives right now and running is the best thing we can do for ourselves.”

The successful outcome of this year’s run have allowed directors of Southern Miss Recreational Sports Center to secure this event for another year at USM.