Homecoming Week begins

Homecoming+Week+begins+
Mary Alice Truitt
Junior Tyler Harris leads Southern Miss cheerleaders onto the field preceeding the game played against Louisville on Sept. 29, 2012. Mary Alice Truitt/Printz Archives
Junior Tyler Harris leads Southern Miss cheerleaders onto the field preceeding the game played against Louisville on Sept. 29, 2012.
Mary Alice Truitt/Printz Archives

The University of Southern Mississippi’s Homecoming week is finally here and this week’s events will pump up students, faculty and the Hattiesburg community.

The Student Government Association has a full calendar of events planned for the week, including a dance competition, Fountain Sit and the annual Homecoming parade.

Homecoming week festivities will begin with the Eagles Kickoff Party Monday at 8 p.m. at The Rock.

Hungry students can take a break from studying Tuesday and grab a late night meal at The Fresh Food Company. Eagle Dining will sponsor a late night meal, “Red light, Green light, Go Gold Party” at 10 p.m.

Wednesday at 3 p.m., the Payne Center will host the Golden Eagle Olympics, where homecoming teams composed of various student groups on campus will compete in a tug of war, a mystery relay, a 0.5 mile relay, dodgeball and volleyball.

Thursday, homecoming teams will compete in “ Bring it On Eagle Style” at Reed Green Coliseum at 7:30 p.m. Teams will prepare all week for the dance competition to show their Southern Miss spirit. This year’s slogan is “Don’t Drop That Black and Gold.”

The Fountain Sit at Shoemaker Square Fountain is a homecoming tradition leading up to Friday Night at the Fountain, which will feature the Adam Doleac Band.

The Homecoming parade will happen Saturday at 10 a.m. downtown before tailgating festivities and the Eagle Walk. The evening’s game against North Texas will kickoff at 6 p.m. The homecoming court will be presented at halftime.

Southern Miss sophomore and SGA Homecoming Court Director, Rhea Phillips Valentine, is in charge of coordinating the homecoming court for the week’s events.

“It’s been a really awesome experience getting to know the homecoming court this year,” Phillips said.  “I know I’ll be seeing even more of them this week which means that I’ll get to know them even better.”

“The homecoming court essentially represents the student body,” she added.

“Being on the court is more of a responsibility than people realize. They were chosen for these positions because they represent Southern Miss so well,” Phillips said. “I’m so honored I had the opportunity to be their director, and I’m extremely excited for them to experience homecoming day.”

Homecoming week will also feature a number of events for alumni and the Hattiesburg community, including a Football Friday Luncheon with Head Coach Todd Monken, and the annual Homecoming Eagle 5k Run at 8:30 a.m. Saturday near the Eagle Walk.

Homecoming brings together many alumni who enjoy returning to their alma mater each year. Amy Martin, a 2006 Southern Miss graduate, looks forward to attending homecoming festivities with her husband, also an alum, and their daughter.

“The excitement that Homecoming week brings to campus is a reminder of my experience as a student at Southern Miss,” she said. Now as an alumna, I get to show my daughter how great it is to be a Golden Eagle.”

For more information on the week’s events, visit www.usm.edu/homecoming.