USM concludes first winning season in 13 years

Southern Miss concluded its 2016 season with a 5-0 loss to UTEP. Despite ending the season with a shutout loss, Southern Miss would finish the season above .500 for the first time in 13 years with its 8-7-2 record.

While the trip to El Paso, Texas may not have been what the Golden Eagles predicted, they did not let the Miners claim the victory without a sweat. Southern Miss recorded 17 shots, seven in the first half and 10 in the second, with seven being on target.

The biggest fault of the night for Southern Miss was shots not finding the back of the net, leading to chances for the Miners to capitalize. In the 14th minute, Southern Miss’ Breann Hedan would have a shot on target saved by Alyssa Palacio. That save would lead to five shots for UTEP in the next nine minutes. The sixth shot in the nine minute stretch would be the golden ticket as Aleah Davis headed the first goal of game for UTEP.

Momentum would stay on UTEP’s side as they went into halftime with a 2-0 lead.

Early in the second half, Southern Miss would record three shots, two on target and one wide, yet again giving the Miners chances to counter. A corner kick from Nicole Lindsey would assist Bri Thomas for the third goal of the game for the Miners and somewhat solidify the win for the night.

Southern Miss would have three players with multiple shots. Monica Maldonado, Ashton Stennis and Hannah Abrahms would all have three shots.

Southern Miss’ goalie Brittany Taylor would add her name to USM records in saves, goals, against average and shutouts.

The Golden Eagles finished the season with 26 goals and allowed 18 goals against them, en route to its first winning season in 13
years.