USM volleyball concludes successful season

The Southern Miss (22-7,11-3 C-USA) volleyball team concluded its regular season with a victory, claiming a 3-1 victory over FIU (9-19, 3-11C-USA) on Nov. 11.

The win boosted Southern Miss’ win streak to six consecutive wins, all against C-USA opponents. Set one was no competition for USM, as it managed to never trail at any point in the set. The Golden Eagles obtained a 10-point lead at one point during the set. Southern Miss claimed the victory of this set, 25-13.

After a line-up adjustment, FIU found its rhythm in set two. Both teams would trade points back-to-back for the first seven points of the set. Southern Miss gained momentum to achieve a 12-7 lead. The lead would not phase FIU, as Head Coach Rita Buck-Crockett used her timeouts wisely to kill Southern Miss’ momentum at key times.

Soon after the timeout, the Golden Eagles committed four errors, allowing FIU to cut into the deficit, 13-10. A 5-2 run for the Golden Eagles following their errors forced another timeout for FIU, 18-12. Four kills by Katie Hogan gave FIU the ability to comeback and win the set, 25-21.

During set three, Kylie Grandy dominated the court for Southern Miss, contributing four kills to help win the set 25-16.

The final set was fought hard by both sides. Twelve lead ties occurred before Southern Miss obtained the first multiple-point lead at 17-14. FIU tied the game back up at 22, but Stephanie Purdue’s kill and a service ace clinched the win for Southern Miss, 25-22.

Southern Miss looks to bring home the C-USA championship trophy this Friday in Houston.