USM falls to LSU, 78-61

Southern Miss (1 – 1) took to the road this Tuesday to face SEC LSU (2 – 0), losing 78 – 61.

The first half was a struggle for the Golden Eagles, as they were able to battle in the opening minutes as a scoring drought damaged the momentum around the halfway mark of the first half. The Tigers capitalized off of the Golden Eagles struggles, building a 12-point lead going into the half, 37 – 25.

The second half was different story for the Golden Eagles.

Southern Miss cut the 12-point deficit to four in the opening four minutes of the second period, 37 – 33. This was the closest deficit the Golden Eagles would obtain since the 11 minute mark in the first half. An 8 – 2 run for LSU put them back up 10 points, 45 – 35.

“We’re going to continue to play teams close,” Head Coach Doc Sadler said. “We get it to four and we have a chance with the basketball, but we give them two straight opportunities for easy baskets.”

With 15 minutes remaining in the half, Southern Miss did not let the 10-point deficit phase its play. Cortez Edwards recorded both of Southern Miss’ blocks on the night – one being a chase down block leading to an easy two points for the Golden Eagles and cutting the deficit to seven, 45 – 38.

Despite all efforts, Southern Miss did not see the lead again. Tim Rowe and Eddie Davis III finished with 13 points apiece, being the only Golden Eagles to finish with double digits and foul out of the game. Southern Miss shot a combined 39 percent from the field, compared to LSU’s 53 percent.

Southern Miss looks to capture their second win of the season Friday at home against Union (Tenn.). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.