Movies to check out this December

Several of this month’s new movies look to be box office hits, but not all of them look to be critically promising.

“Jackie” was released Dec. 2. The trailer features Academy Award winning actress Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy after John F. Kennedy’s assassination. This film promises emotional delivery given its subject matter. “Jackie” already has an 85 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.6/10 on IMDb. For any history buff or anyone interested in the Kennedy family, this could be a great one.

“La La Land” comes out this week on Dec. 9. Emma Stone portrays an aspiring actress who is turned down at an audition and soon after meets a piano-playing Ryan Gosling. The preview has an almost “Grease” feel to it. The movie is already up for several awards even though it has not been released in theaters. If you’re a fan of musicals, this one is for you. I don’t think that I will be buying a ticket, though. This seems like it will be more of a DVD-and-ice-cream-movie with the girls.

“Collateral Beauty,” which stars Will Smith, follows a man named Howard who has lost his child. “I saw you in her eyes when she called me daddy, and you betrayed me,” Smith says to a personification of love during the trailer. The line delivered an emotional punch that makes me want to go see the movie, though I get the distinct impression I will be sobbing like a baby. The preview looks promising. You can expect this movie to be released Dec. 16.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is set during the Empire time period. A young woman is leading the rebels against the Empire. I’m biased because I love “Star Wars,” but this movie looks great. The theaters will be packed with people wanting to see it before the spoilers take over social media, so if you want to see it, pre-order your tickets. It will be interesting to see this particular “Star Wars” time period from a new perspective.

“Assassins Creed” comes out Dec. 21. In the trailer, a man is informed that he was executed the day before and no longer exists. He is reliving the memories of an ancestor who died 500 years before in the Spanish Inquisition. For anyone who did not play the games, it might not be worth the time to go see it unless they are an action movie fan.

“Passengers” features Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, who have signed up to board a spaceship called the Avalon. The goal was to wake up a century later on a different planet. After a ship malfunction, however, the characters wake up years ahead of schedule. There is something wrong with the ship, and Pratt’s character is determined to fix it. I will be seeing this one in theaters.

These movies will be the perfect way to unwind after a stressful semester. Be sure to get your tickets in advance to avoid the lines.