CSFO accepting donations for children

The Child and Family Studies Organization (CFSO) is currently accepting donations to help children in foster care.

CFSO is encouraging everyone to donate items to Owings-McQuagge Hall Room 129 before Monday, Nov. 18. The donations will be delivered to children who are being placed in foster care to help them feel more comfortable in their new surroundings.

“Items that can be donated are things that children ages 2 to 12 need or want that are small enough to fit in a shoe box,” said Claire Kimberly, director of CFSO. “This includes toiletry items, clothes and new toys.”

The project was created by Sophia Badon, senior child and family studies major. She said she was inspired after taking part in a service-learning project at the Department of Family and Children Services in Marion County.
“The social workers told me that they wanted to find ways to make the children’s transition into foster care easier,” she said.

Badon said she discovered an article online that had direct input from children who were in foster care. “The children talked about how important it was for them to have items of their own to take with them to the foster homes because most times they have to leave all of their belongings behind,” she said.

Badon said the purpose of this project is not only to make becoming part of a new family easier for these children, but also to give them their own place to put personal belongings when entering a new home.

People who wish to create their own boxes can purchase a photo storage box and fill the box with toiletries, clothes or toys. An encouraging note can also be placed in the box.

Tape a paper indicating the child’s gender and age bracket on the narrow side of the box. Finally, place a rubber band around the box and deliver it to the correct location.

According to Badon, making these boxes or donating items is a simple way to comfort a child. “Anyone can donate,” she said.

CFSO prefers donations and boxes to be new. Donations will be accepted through CSFO until Nov. 18. Donations can be submitted directly to Badon after that date.

For more information about the project, contact Sophia Badon at [email protected].