Tori Bowie wins first individual gold medal at world championship

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 6, 2017; London, United Kingdom; Tori Bowie (USA) takes a victory lap with United States flag after winning the womens 100m in 10.85 during the IAAF World Championships in Athletics at London Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Park. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Tori Bowie continues to bring pride to the Golden Eagles in the world of track and field. Bowie is a two-time long jump champion in the 2011 NCAA indoor and outdoor championships for Southern Miss.

In a final lunge at the Track and Field World Championships in London, Bowie took home her first individual world championship title in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.85 seconds.

After a poor start, Bowie was forced to chase down the reigning Jamaican Olympic champion, Elaine Thompson, and edged out Marie-Josee Ta Lou of the Ivory Coast. Bowie’s lunge forced her to lose her footing at the finish line, but her efforts helped her earn first place by .01 second.

Bowie received recognition from former Super Bowl champion and Golden Eagle legend, Brett Favre, via Twitter, “Congrats to fastest woman on the planet and fellow Southern Miss Golden Eagle Tori Bowie on winning world championship!!! SMTTT.”

He also tweeted, “Tori is not only amazing but fast too!! Every Southern Miss fan is so proud of you!!!”

Bowie’s win helped the United States sweep the men and women’s 100 meter dash in the World Championships for the first time since 2005.

Bowie’s championship win adds to her growing collection of world titles. Her international success began in 2015 at the IAFF World Championships in Beijing where she received the Bronze in the 100 meter dash. Bowie’s career exploded in her Olympic debut in Rio De Janeiro after she earned a gold medal in the 4X100 relay, a silver medal in the 100 meter dash and a bronze medal in the 200 meter race.

“It’s a wonderful feeling,” Bowie said. “I am so happy. I feel like the hard work has really paid off. I am so grateful and I am so thankful, and tonight was one of the best nights of my life.”