Golden Eagles lose against No.27 Western Kentucky

Southern Miss volleyball (12- 8, 2-2 C-USA) team traveled to Bowling Green, Kentucky to face conference opponent, Western Kentucky (18-2, 5-0 C-USA) this past Friday. The Golden Eagles dropped all three sets to the Lady Hilltoppers, a team currently receiving votes for the top 25 in the national rankings.

The first set was a back-and-forth battle between both sides but Western Kentucky capitalized on late errors from the Golden Eagles. After trailing for majority of the first set, the Lady Hilltoppers called a timeout and then found their rhythm. After chipping away at the lead, three kills and three kill errors solidified the first victory for Western Kentucky, 25-21.

Both Western Kentucky and Southern Miss’ play repeated as the first and second set mirrored each other. Western Kentucky’s Alyssa Cavanaugh made a great impact on the set as her 24 kills kept Southern Miss in the contest. The Golden Eagles errors was a catalyst to the Lady Hilltoppers success in this set as another kill error lead to WKU winning the set and one win closer to the sweep, 2-0.

The third set was completely one-sided as WKU completed the sweep with a 25-14 victory.

Southern Miss looks to redeem itself Friday at 7 p.m. against Louisiana Tech. Game is set for 7 p.m.